Showdown

Aurora forced herself to eat, though she wanted nothing more than to rise from her seat and follow Remus from the hall. She could tell by the look on his face that whatever had upset him was quite serious- professors didn’t generally leave the hall in such a manner anyway- yet she knew she would draw suspicion if she came to the hall without eating.

She spooned herself a bowl of porridge and forced it down, the thickness sticking to her throat and making it even more difficult to swallow. Liam said nothing, even as he gave her a look that told her to go with her decision to stay put.

“Is it true? What Draco is saying?” Lavender Brown asked in a very carrying whisper. Parvati Patil’s eyes widened.

“What is he saying?” She wondered aloud. Lavender’s face took on a very serious expression, though it was evident that she was enjoying the gossip.

“Professor Lupin is a werewolf.” Aurora’s breath caught in her throat as the words hit her. How had they found out? There was a curious murmur of voices as the other students discussed the news. Liam’s hand caught her arm as she started to rise from her seat.

“Did you know?” He hissed, eyes darting around to make sure they weren’t overheard. His eyes were wide with fear and Aurora hated him in that instant.

“Of course I knew.” She said almost inaudibly, shrugging off his hand and leaving the hall, not caring too much at that moment who was watching. He followed her out, his steps quickening to match her fast pace. He grabbed her arm once more to stop her just as they left the hall.

“Aurora, he’s dangerous.” Liam insisted, putting emphasis on the word. Aurora could feel the anger rising again. Of course she knew that! She didn’t need Liam or anyone else to tell her that she was risking herself to be with him. It didn’t matter. Couldn’t they see that?

“He would never hurt me.” She said with so much conviction that he let her be, not even following her as she rushed off towards Lupin’s office.

~

When she arrived, she had expected to see the dejected look upon his face, but she hadn’t expected his entire office to be packed and ready to go. Her expression must have betrayed her thoughts.

“I resigned.” He told her quietly.

“Wha-why?” She stammered.

“Professor Snape let word about my condition slip to the Slytherins…it will only be a matter of time before the letters start arriving from parents. It’s best that I leave before it causes a scene.” The words were hard for him to speak. The first job he’d held down in years…hell, the first job he’d enjoyed in years…and he had to say goodbye.

“Don’t go.” She pled, her voice barely a whisper. He walked over to her and took her hands in his.

“If you’ll still have me…” He started to say but she cut him off.

“Do we honestly have to go over that again?” She narrowed her eyes.

“It’s only two weeks until the end of school. I’ll be at graduation.” He promised. She took a deep breath, though it didn’t calm the empty feeling spreading through her chest.

Don’t go.” She tried once more. He looked at her sadly, wishing he could stay.

“I must. I wish I didn’t have to…but…not everyone is as understanding as you are.” He reminded her, tucking a stray curl behind her ear. He wiped away the tear sliding down her cheek with his thumb, holding her face in his hands.