8

Melany

"Hey," I said as I sat down next to Robyn.

"Hey. What's wrong?" she smiled so bright. Oh it breaks me.

"Robyn you know you're my best friend right," I looked into her hazel eyes.

"Yeah. Since second grade baby!" she exclaimed in victory.

"Longer than most people's relationships," I made a joke. We both burst into a song of laughter. I was going to miss that.

"Yeah," she caught her breath, "so what's up?"

"I'm so sorry Robyn, but we..." I caught my tongue & tears started to swell my eyes.

"What's wrong Mel?" she asked worried.

"Can't be friends anymore," I choked out. My heart was burning, this was painful.

"Oh. I understand," her voice trailed off.

"It's not that I don't want to be. It's just, the company," I explained. I was in tears now.

"No I get it. Fame's more important to you than our friendship. It's all good," she put on her best fake smile & stormed out of the school.

"What have I done?" I thought as I sobbed silently.

***

"Oh great you're here," Jimmy said as I walked into the studio.

"Hey Jimmy," I sighed.

"What's wrong girl?" he asked concerned.

"I dumped my best friend today. Aidan told me I had to," I sighed again.

"I'm sorry boo but that's how the business works. I had to dump some friends when I first started but look where I am now. It gets harder & easier at the same time. But you always got me as a friend," he winked & smiled at me.

"Thanks Jimmy," I half smiled, "what I gotta do today?"

"Well I have this song for you that I wrote & we were thinking about it being your introductory single to the music world," he nodded & handed me a piece of paper. I skimmed over the paper & nodded slightly.

"Alright how long do we have?" I asked.

"That's the thing. Company wants it by tonight so we can have it on morning radio tomorrow," he said uneasy.

"What!" I exclaimed as I dropped the paper on the floor.

"Yeah I know it's a push but I believe you can do it & hey, you're emotional right now. Real emotion makes a hit," he smiled at me, trying to make the situation seem easier. I closed my eyes & huffed,

"Fine."

"Great. Get it that booth & do your thing babygirl!" he exclaimed in excitement. I got into the booth & looked at the mic.

"Here we go," I whispered to myself & looked at the paper.