:: Chapter 11: Pensieves and memories ::

The three onlookers were euphoric. After having always secretly yearned for a time when their best friends, and in another case- best students- would somehow twist fate and come back to give Harry the family he never had, James Potter's return was a dream come true.

Dumbledore spoke gently, "James, you may take Harry with you to your quarters. And I will ask Professor Mcgonagall to make up a story about your disappearance this weekend, Harry. Then later, you may tell Mr Weasely and Miss Granger the news."

Harry nodded, though he wanted to tell Ron and Hermione at once. But,he realised that it could wait. He wanted to spend time with his dad for awhile.

"Where are you staying, dad?" Harry wondered.

James heart soared when Harry called him dad. Baby Harry used to call him dada.

"I'm staying here at Hogwarts, in a special guest room. Let's go!"

Harry grinned at him. He ran to hug Sirius and Remus and muttered a soft thanks. Both of them hugged Harry back and promised to visit again soon. James then turned to his best friends and gave them what Lily used to call, 'man hugs'. After being promised a visit soon, both flooed to Grimmauld place, after all, Sirius was an escapee. With a final wave at a smiling Dumbledore, the Potters went to the guest room.

Harry was amazed when he saw the room. "This is where you stayed?"

James chuckled by the doorway, with his arms folded across his chest as he watched his son wander around the room.

"Yeah. Like it?"

"Love it!"

James sat Harry on the bed and began slowly, "Harry, I'm sorry. You were orphaned when we died, you had to live with your aunt and uncle. If only-"

"Don't." Harry shushed him. "I'm alive because of you. Never forget that."

James smiled. He ruffled Harry's hair and asked, "So, how was life these past fourteen years? Did the Dursleys treat you alright?" James knew about Petunia's immense dislike for wizards and witches.

Harry flinched, and James narrowed his eyes. "Harry?" He asked slowly. "What did they do?"

Harry squirmed uneasily.

"Well, they, uh, weren't exactly nice."

"What did they do?" James repeated.

Harry sighed.

"Well, they hated me from the start. They pampered my cousin Dudley and never loved me. They made me do all the chores around the house."

James's knuckles were white.

"Did they beat you?" He asked in a level voice.

"Not directly. They let Dudley do that and never punished him for it, just encouraged him." James was furious.

"And they, uh, punished me if I had any bouts of accidental magic."

"What? Petunia knew about accidental magic and still? That good for nothing-"

"Dad! Calm down!" Harry said slightly worried. James cursed himself. He had just met Harry and he was already scaring him.

"I'm sorry, Harry." James sighed. "It's just that, as your father, I can't tolerate people hurting you like that."

Harry sighed. And then brightened.

"I don't have to go back there, do I?"

"Never again, Harry. Never again. I'll try to rebuild our old home, we can live there with Remus and Sirius once Sirius's name is cleared."