: Chapter 4- A few revelations :

"What more, Albus?" James asked warily. He could feel the uneasy tension in the air as Dumbledore stared uncomfortably at the room, weighing his words. Why was he stalling?

"James, what year is it?" asked Dumbledore slowly. James stared at the headmaster in blatant disbelief, wondering whether he was supposed to laugh or not. What the devil had possessed Dumbledore to ask him such a ridiculous question?

"1981, obviously! Why are you asking that?"

"Because. . . ," said the older man, looking at him with wary eyes, "It is not 1981, but 1995."

Dumbledore let the words sink in. James repeated the sentence around in his mind, internally scoffing at the old man for uttering such nonsense.

"You're joking," said James, shaking his head.

"I am not."

How could this be? James thought. The improbability of the statement was still wrapping around his mind. Fourteen years? That's ridiculous!

"I don't believe you," he said finally. Dumbledore sighed, having expected this answer.

"I'll prove it, then." He summoned his phoenix, and whispered something. The beautiful creature vanished with a burst of flames and almost immediately returned with a copy of the Daily Prophet.

"Look at the date, James," said Dumbledore gently.

James stared at the Headmaster weirdly before he accepted the paper. His blood ran cold when his eyes swept through the date.

October 31, 1995

James's throat constricted. But he still refused to believe it, even though the firm evidence was right in front of him. His mind refused to believe what his eyes had at first sight.

"It's fake," He declared stubbornly.

"Look at us, James. Why would we of all people want to lie to you about this?" asked McGonagall softly.

James looked at them and his eyes widened in horror when noticed that Dumbledore and Mcgonagall looked older. They had been telling the truth all along.

"But, how--?" asked James in a strangled voice.

"When Voldemort arrived to kill Harry, you were brave, James, but you were overpowered. After you were murdered--" James flinched --" Voldemort went after Lily and Harry. Lily died saving Harry, James. She was given the option of stepping aside, to live. But she didn't. She blocked Voldemort's path and placed a very powerful protection over Harry, a protection of love. Voldemort could not touch a being marked with such a protection, and the killing curse rebounded, relinquishing him of his powers."

"How do you know exactly what happened that night?" whispered James.

"Harry."

"Harry told you?" James asked incredulously. "He was only a year old!"

"That is not for me to say, but Harry himself. You have much to catch up with him, don't you?" said Dumbledore with a smile.

James's eyes lit up at that. His son was alive.

"So, about Voldemort. You mean to say that he's--dead?"

"No. Many people believed him to be. But he has risen again, putting your son in even more danger."

James's brow furrowed in worry. Voldemort had failed once, and James was sure that it would only motivate him to hunt for Harry with yet more drive.

"Did Harry survive the killing curse unharmed?"

"Well, not unscathed. Harry bears a scar on his forehead in the shape of a lightning bolt. It can't be removed as it is a mark left behind by Dark magic. But he wasn't hurt in any other way."

James nodded, relieved. At least Harry didn't sustain any other permanent traumas.

"Now, I think it is time to introduce you to the others, yes? Sirius and Remus will be delighted. They were devastated by your deaths."

A shadow of a smile appeared on James's haggard face, who was no doubt eager to could meet his best friends. They were alive. James could now meet the remaining three living people he loved.

As they slowly made their way downstairs, a question arose in James's mind.

"But Albus, what about Harry? Sirius took care of him, surely?"

The twinkle in Dumbledore's eyes faded and the older man sighed heavily.

"James, Sirius was undoubtably angiushed by your deaths. He was the one who reached your house first, followed by Hagrid--"

"Hagrid?" questioned James. "He reached here after--?"

"Please, let me continue. Sirius was broken at the sight of you. When he learnt that Peter betrayed you, he set off to find him."

The murder of a best friend at the hands of another must have been something Sirius couldn't handle. But James couldn't understand where Dumbledore was going with this. Surely Sirius didn't do anything rash?

"Sirius tracked him down to a Muggle street. Peter realised that he was cornered, so he shouted something about Sirius betraying the Potters, and blasted the street, killing twelve Muggles. In the chaos, he cut off his finger, transformed into his animagus form and disappeared with the other sewer rats. Sirius began, well, laughing like a madman and he was carted off to Azkaban without a trial for twelve years. . ."

"What?" James shouted, bringing himself into an abrupt halt and rounding on Dumbledore. "Without a trial? For twelve years? How is that possible? Peter, that cowardly excuse of a rat! That scoundrel -"

"James, listen to me," interrupted Dumbledore. "At that time, the only people who were aware of the switch of secret keepers were you, Lily, Sirius and Peter. No one else knew. The evidence was incriminating. Even I believed that he was guilty."

James glowered at him despite of himself. As his mind wandered, he couldn't help but think about Remus. What would things have been in his point of view? His best friend had betrayed James and Lily and had 'murdered' Peter, yet another best friend. He must have been alone, his best friends either killed or in prison in retaliation for the murders.

"But he was released?"

"No. He escaped."

James's jaw dropped in shock, not caring if he looked comical. He then straightened his expression, immensely proud of his friend. That must have been a first--a break out from Azkaban!

"Sirius was always talented at escaping," He said, shaking his head, but a distinct sense of pride could be detected in his voice. "You still didn't tell me who took care of Harry. It wasn't Sirius. Was it Remus?"

"No. The Ministry would never have allowed it, what with his little--ah-- problem."

"Then, who?"

Dumbledore winced slightly as previous memories of his days with the couple in his office resurfaced. Of the promise he had made. But he hoped that at the moment, James would forget about how he, Dumbledore, had made a promise one day, almost fifteen years ago.

A promise he had broken.

Bracing himself, he said slowly, "Lily's sister and her husband. Harry's aunt and uncle."