six

:.:ELLIE:.:

The bus ride to Doncaster was almost four hours long, and I forgot my headphones and a book so there was nothing left to do but to stare out the window.

I really didn't get why people thought the countryside of England was so beautiful, every town we passed looked dead to me. People were walking around like zombies looking sad about their lives, they probably were for living in those shit holes.

Doncaster was no better, I had lived there my entire life but it still never felt like home to me.

It was just a place where I was born and had to grow up, nothing else.

Eventually I got so bored from the trip that I fell asleep and woke up as the driver called out that Doncaster was the final stop.

I gathered my things and got off the bus to see Dave's car in the parking lot.

He was leaning against it while talking in his phone.

"Yeah, she's here now" I heard him say as I came up to him and waved lightly. "Your mom" he mouthed and pointed to the phone.

Then he hung up and pulled me in for a tight hug and rested his head on my shoulder.

"I'm sorry about how I acted in London" He said. "I know I was an idiot"

He sounded genuinely remorseful and I couldn't help but feel bad about the night before.

"It's okay, I was just being emotional" I said with a low voice and let go of him.

We drove back to Dave's apartment and ordered some chineese food for dinner.

It was already 5pm and I hadn't slept for one minute, so as soon as the food was finished I fell asleep. My mind was racing with thoughts of red hair and glittering eyes and that contagious laugh, but I tried to push them away.

I remember vaguely how Dave carried me to his bed later at night, but I was too tired to even thank him.

---|-/---

I had spent two days in Doncaster, mostly in Dave's apartment while he was working, and I was finally getting some sleep at night.

I woke up to the sound of my phone ringing. I checked the clock, it was ten after four and Josh's number was on the screen. I glanced over to Dave, before getting out of bed and walking out on the balcony.

"Hello?" I said with a sleepy voice as I sat down in the hammock.

"I'm sorry for waking you" he said.

"It's okay" I didn't want to tell him that he had filled my thoughts the whole day. Ever since I came here actually.

"Is something wrong?" I asked him, confused of why he was calling me in the middle of the night.

"Couldn't sleep." he said briefly. "Just wanted to hear your voice."

I sighed. I had tried to ignore the fact that I missed his voice too, and how his eyes squinted when he smiled. It was kind of addictive.

We talked for a while, I tried to keep it short so Dave wouldn't wake up but when we hung up I felt hollow.

---|-/---

The next day me and Dave went for dinner at my parents house, and Dave's parents would be there too.

We drove the short road to their house, Dave tried to make small talk but I was too wrapped up in my mind to take notice. I know he was worried about me, he just didn't know how to show it. 

When all I needed was a pair of comforting arms around me, he tried to act like everything was normal. It wasn't.

I tried to act like it too, so I wouldn't ruin this dinner. I liked Dave's parents, they always helped me whenever I needed, his father even helped me with the move to London.