Ch.9- Answers

Author's Note: Here's the second chapter I promised! And I also won't be as updating as often this week but I changed the Prologue so if you want to check it out and comment it would be helpful! Comment and Like please!

Emily on the side-->

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Finally, so she would be able to think about her pack and not have to worry about her children dying, she decided to cloak her race of immortals in magic and myth,” Adair finished. Mia looked at us, “That is why the Key is just known as a fairytale now. To protect you,” she said as she stared at me. We sat in silence for a few minutes until I cleared my throat. “Is that it?” I asked, “That’s all it is?” Mia and Adair shared a glance between them before turning to me. “We don’t know,” Mia said. Adair nodded at her granddaughter, “That is all the legend states, but each time the goddess received the girls again she gave them something to help improve their chances of survival. So it is very likely she gave you another gift but we don’t know what that would be,” she said.

Alex looked up from where she had been in contemplation, “So the Moon goddess made us this way. She gave us special ‘gifts’ just to protect the Key?” she asked. Adair nodded, “Yes,” she acknowledged. Then Melissa spoke up, “But why, if the immortal race can now give immortality to humans, would people want to kill the Key?” she asked. Adair sighed before speaking, “I have no idea. No one has ever actually got the power of the Key. But I believe that it is because the Key is part of the goddess. In fact, you are all part of the goddess. Both goddesses really, the Moon goddess and Mother Earth. If someone were to get the Key’s powers for themselves in a ritual they could rule the earth. If they were to take all of your powers who knows what would happen.”

 Mia nodded, “That is why it is so important that you protect yourselves and keep who you are a secret,” she explained. I nodded but Alex seemed confused as she as glanced around at all the faces. “But what does being a Strategist really mean? Or a Healer, or Protector, or even the Key and the Alpha?” she asked. Adair was silent for a minute, contemplating the question, before answering. “Honestly, I have no idea. I think the positions kind of explain themselves. The Alpha is the leader of the pack, the one that untimely has the final say. The Healer is the one that takes the place of a pack’s doctor. She will heal you. The Strategist the brains of the operation, I guess you could say. She will be the one to make battle plans and will be like the Army commander is times of war. And the Protector is the one that protects all of you, but most of all the Key.” Alex nodded in understanding but posed another question.

“What is the Key?” she asked. Melissa and Jennifer stopped staring off into space to pay attention to Adair when she answered. “The Key is not a physical object, or even a Key. It is an energy source. It is in the girl’s blood. In their skin, in their very essence,” She said. Alex sat back in her chair, “So you can’t just get rid of it?” she asked. Adair shook her head, “It is just as much as a part of them as being a Strategist is to you. It defines them, influences them, and guides them,” she said solemnly as she smiled at Caitlin and Emily. “And will lead them to their death,” Jennifer said. Everybody looked at her.

 “No,” the old woman said, “That is what you are here for. To make sure they do not die.” Jennifer smiled bitterly, “So we were built by the Moon goddess to protect something that does not even belong on earth,” she said. Adair’s lips thinned as Mia answered, glancing at her grandmother, “No, that’s not what we meant. Yes, you were created to protect the Key, but that is not your sole purpose in life. It is just one,” she said. Alex looked at her, “Isn’t it though?” she said, “Our whole lives have led us to this point. And no matter how hard we have fought this path, the Moon goddess always led us back to this one. The one she chose for us.” There was a bitterness in her tone I could understand but I realized that without this group of girls around me that Caitlin and Emily would have never lasted this long.