Chapter One-The Birthday Surprise

Author's Note: This Chapter had been edited!!

When a werewolf turns sixteen their wolf is fully mature and they find their mate. Or at least that’s what my mom tells me. I don’t really believe it because I still have acne. What boy would want to mate with someone with acne? It doesn’t help that my red hair tends to emphasize my facial issues. But I guess that’s a good things. My mom says my hair is a rare color for a werewolf, or for any species, so my fur color when I turn will also be different. At least I’ll be a beautiful wolf.

            I sighed, staring into the mirror as I lifted my breasts, hoping they had somehow gotten bigger overnight. But no big changes were apparent as I stared into the mirror of the bathroom. It came as no surprise though that my mom started banging on the door a minute later. “Amanda, honey, hurry up. The other guests are arriving. Get ready, happy birthday honey!” She yelled through the door before running off to greet the other guests. As her high heels clicked against the tile floor outside the door I sighed again, disappointed that I hadn’t woken up looking like a Victoria’s Secret model.

            “Come on, Amanda, come join the party. You’re mom’s going insane!” My dad yelled just then. I walked over to the door, opened it a little, and peeked out at my dad. “I know,” I said, attempting a small smile as my dad grinned back. Then he saw me and leaned in, “are you okay? I told your mom this was too many people…” he muttered quietly. I smiled gently, but it probably looked more like a grimace, “I’m fine dad. Just nervous,” I stated. He nodded in understanding, “you know, your mom was sixteen when I met her. At her birthday party too. She was so happy,” he said.

“I know,” I told him as I opened the door a little wider, prepared to go get ready for the party that was already starting without me if my dad started on the story of his mom’s first date. My dad continued smiling down at me as if he were proud of me for actually reaching sixteen. Which was hard work, I tell you. “Well, I better let you get ready for your party. Come down whenever you’re ready honey and smile, it’s your big day!” He exclaimed as he hugged me and then moved past me to go find my mom as I tiptoed past the guests to go to my room.

It wasn’t easy to blend in if you were me. My dad was alpha of one of the largest werewolf packs in the United States. Of course, there were bigger packs and there were certainly other Were-species that had a bigger population, but my dad’s pack was one large section of Wyoming, Colorado, Kansas, and Nebraska. This wouldn’t be such a big deal if my pack wasn’t all in one area. Most Alpha’s in control of bigger packs had territory in other countries and in the United States, so that the actual pack was not always together except at events that called for them to be. My dad’s pack was always together, and with the largest Midwestern pack to date, my dad commanded authority.

Then he met my mom, his Luna, at her sixteenth birthday. Which made me nervous. What if I meet my mate today? The situation isn’t totally improbable because my mom had invited, along with our pack, every single male in existence. I would be exaggerating, but my mom sent out letters about my sixteenth birthday to Europe. So guys from every country showed up, hoping I could be the one. I just wanted a pizza and for my dad to let me go out to the movies. Not this extravaganza.

But it was tradition in a lot of immortal species to have the female, when she turned sixteen, to meet every single male she could in hopes that she would find her mate. Not necessarily because she needed a husband and kids right away, but because soon the female would go into Heat and she needed her mate to help her because if a female didn’t find a mate by that time she would be attacked by every unmated male in two hundred miles, and my parents were all about saving my innocence. At least with a mate they knew I would be safe.