The Werewolf Best-friend |Three|

The Werewolf Best-Friend

Three: |Kyla|

“I can't believe you started a food fight with my brother!” Tristan shouts, scowling as he snatches the book I'd been reading for the past half hour out of my hands. Ignoring the nasty glare the school's librarian shoots him, he plants his hands on the table between us leaning across it until our noses are almost touching. “Do you know they made me pay for clean-up? That Emma and I are no longer allowed back on the premises because of you and Tyler?”

I clear my throat nervously, not knowing what to say. An angry Tristan is a rare thing but once he lost his carefully controlled temper the best thing to do is run and hide. You do not, ever, make eye contact with an angry Tristan. No sudden movements and most importantly , never show fear. Fear only makes things worse.

Of course, this is why I've been avoiding him for as long as I have. Bolting out of the restaurant when everyone else inside was too busy trying not to get hit with flying food may have been cowardly of me, but it was the wisest of my choices.

“Kyla! Are you even listening to me?” He rolls his eyes at his own question. “No, of course you aren't.” Tristan sighs and plops down in a chair, rubbing his temples.

“What do you want me to say? You know Tyler and I don't get along, but you think we'd make a good couple? And you don't even like that restaurant, so what's the big deal?” Sometimes this boy's mind confuses the hell out of me. Ha, sometimes nothing. Tristan always confuses the hell out of me.

“The point is-....” He groans, banging his head on the table. “I don't know what the big deal is. I should be thanking you, but Emma's so upset. She thinks you ruined last night on purpose.”

“Wha-why would she think that?” If I had planned on getting into a food fight with Tyler I would have worn something I didn't like. Not my favorite dress. Not that I actually had a choice in what I was going to wear anyway, but still...

“She thinks-and I know this is ridiculous-but she thinks you're trying to ruin my relationship with her.”

“That's so stupid!” Okay, so not 'stupid' exactly considering that I'm in love with him. But I would never intentionally sabotage their relationship. I wouldn't be terribly upset if they happened to break up because of that night, but I hadn't done it on purpose. Tyler just knows how to piss me off.

“That's what I said.” Tristan laughs, throwing his hands up in the air. “That's not even the best part, though. She thinks-Emma thinks-” A forced sounding laugh passes his lips and I swallow. Was it bad? “Emma thinks you're in love with me.”

My stomach dropped as soon as the words were out of his mouth.

She knew! Emma knew? How? Was it that obvious? Did he believe her? No, of course he didn't. He wouldn't be laughing if he thought it were true. Would he?

“Kyla? You okay? You look like you're gonna be sick.” Tristan leans across the table again, putting a cool hand to my forehead. He either doesn't notice or chooses to ignore the way I flinch away from his touch when he does so. “You don't have a fever. Are you feeling alright?” He asked quietly.

I don't look him in the eye-can't-as I gather my things and push away from the table. “I-uh-I gotta get to class.”

Tristan grabs my arm when I walk around the table, pulling me to a stop. “Free period, Ky.” He murmured with a strained smile and I blush. Damn it, why couldn't he just leave me my dignity and let me escape? Stupid boy.

“Right, of course. Uh, you know I think I'm just gonna go home. I'm not feeling too well.” I shrug my arm out of his grasp and hurry towards the front of the library. Escape is my only option, because if I don't I'll end up saying something that will more than likely end our friendship. And I can't even tell you how badly I just to say it and have it be over with already.