Chapter 3 : Whipped

I inspected the room some more before I left. Eventually, I found my converse hidden under the desk by my bed. I pulled them on quickly and grabbed my map before leaving my room.

This time when I left the room, I took note of the waxed floor and tried to ignore the paintings- I didn’t want another occurrence like last night to happen again. So this time I stormed straight to the main stairs only taking a small notice to how extravagant the outside was.

It was just as beautiful as the room I was staying in. The stairs were marble, the banisters were a tinted chrome colour. The candles were the same shade of dark red I saw on my bed covers and decors. The bottom floor was huge; the stairs opened out into the room which looked like it belonged in an extravagant movie set. There were no people wearing their best dresses dancing around, but it was easily imaginable. Watching them waltz across the floor majestically dancing to the beat of the music.

But there was no-one here, just me and the huge room but it wasn’t threatening like i thought it would be. It had a feel to the room that strangely made it feel less hostile.

I walked across the empty room towards the huge dark wooden double doors. I lightly pressed my fingers and nudged it gently. Some of me- the more sensible part of me was hoping it was locked so I would go back to my room where it was safe. Another part hoped the door would open so I could explore beyond this room.

The door opened ajar, immediately the cold spring breeze crept in and brushed past my cheek, sending slight ripples of electricity as it went past. I could smell the cold, moist air as I inhaled; the slight scent of the frost entered my nose mixed in with the scent of the approaching spring. It was relatively silent outside just the gentle rustling of the trees and grass as the wind moved them.

I gave myself a little peep talked before I stepped out of the protection of the room and into the unknown. You can do this Scarlett, if you see any of those things just ignore them and they will ignore you. I sighed heavily, shaking my head. How was a pep talk going to protect me from ‘them’ when I don’t even know if they have their abilities yet? I could step out into a mind field full of crazed maniacs who have only just undergone the change and want a test subject to practise on.

Breathe Scarlett, Breathe. You are going to have to face them sooner or later and there is not point pretending you are not one of them because you are! With this firm resolution I stepped outside into the world beyond the door. I gasped. It was truly beautiful and I was glad I was able to experience this breathtaking moment alone, I had time to absorb everything that surrounded me.

Spread out in front of me was a sand stone path that branched off in different directions, each one leading to somewhere new.  Grass banks were plotted around like an organised mess and each one held a variety of multi-coloured flowers that created a rainbow-like spectrum. Beyond the paths and grass banks was the forest that wrapped around the school encasing it with a hug like embrace. No wonder no one ever spotted the school when they drove past! The building was completely hidden by the vast forest that stretched on for miles on either side. The light filtered down between the trees creating an almost eerie glow to the forest that only made me want to go explore it more but I stopped myself. With my lack of sense of direction I would be lost in there for days. And as tempting as it was to escape from reality for a while I knew I was going to have to come to terms with my new life.

I glanced around at my surroundings again this time realising that there were people dotted about the place. I had been so drawn in by the magnificence of nature at its finest that I hadn’t noticed that anyone else was here. A few were sat on the empty grass banks huddled over what looked like a really old book. Others were standing around in groups chatting happily with each other and some were wondering around aimlessly.

That was when I spotted the Willow tree. It was so out of place which only intrigued me more. The only other trees were the ones that made up the forest. So why was the Willow tree positioned in the middle of a grass bank? I stared at it intently trying to figure out if maybe it had some purpose for being there but my mind came up blank. Oh well, it was still beautiful with its aged glory and pretentious stance. Its vines billowed downwards, swaying in time with the grass when the breeze bustled past.

My gaze wavered at the sound of high-pitched giggling. I glimpsed around to see where the sounded resounded from, easily spotting the line of girls that were walking towards where the willow tree was.

Simultaneously the line of girls walked underneath the tree. They were nothing special, but you could tell just by looking at them that they thought the world evolved around them; like they were the most popular things in the school-

Wh-tch!!!

“OWWW!” The girls screamed in unison as three of the vines whipped each of their butt’s at the same time.

The girls clutched theirs butts and turned to glare at the tree. They were glaring, at a tree?

“So not funny Coby!” One of the girls shouted.

Now they’re speaking to the tree? I looked around confused wondering if anyone was seeing this. But everyone else was just carrying on with their own agenda completely oblivious to what had just happened. So I turned back to look at the tree once again.

The vines of the Willow tree receded as the main trunk shortened. The once wooden complexion of the tree was now morphing into the fleshy pink skin of a human. Within seconds the old Willow tree was no longer, now there was a young guy in its place.

My jaw fell to the floor, I was completely gobsmacked. No words could desribe what I've just witnessed. This was my first encounter with one of them. He was obviously one of the ones who changed shape- a shapeshifter.

The girls continued glaring as if what just happened was a normal everyday incident. The guy just winked and ambled off clearly pleased with himself.

What have I gotten myself into?