scene 4: A lover's night

“Are you sure it would be okay with your mum if I'll gonna sleep there?” Gabby asked.

“Yeah, she’s pretty much used to it. I bring a lot of people home.” Mar answered back –

“Where are you anyway?” he added.

“Still an hour away I think.” Gabby replied.

“I’ll be waiting for you even until midnight, what would you like to eat?”

“You.” Gabby joked deceitfully.

“You’ll gonna crave until later.”- Followed by a laugh. “I’ll just ask our helper to leave something for you okay.”

“Sure anything would do.”

After giving some landmarks and directions to Gabby, Mar hang up the phone. Though on a week-long vacation, Gabby reported back to work for two days due to internal problems with their supervisor. After resolving what can be worked out, Mar insisted that Gabby go straight to his place to spend a night or two.

Tired and wasted, Gabby walked the last leg of the route as instructed by Mar an hour after the last call.

Mar was waiting by the door.

He immediately flashed his warm smile as he saw Gabby approaching. As Gabby stepped inside the house, Mar tucked himself to the other’s waist giving a tight and warm hug that lasted for a couple of minutes. “I missed you.”

“Somebody might see us.” Gabby cautioned.

“They’re all asleep- it’s past 12.” Mar retaliated. “Here, munch something to your tummy, you looked tired.” - As he walked Gabby to the kitchen.

“I just want to rest.”

They went upstairs towards Mar’s room on the third story.

“Bed at last!” Gabby  jumped to the soft cushion lying adjacent to the window.

“You may want to bathe first before going to bed.” Mar suggested.

“I want to sleep now.” Gabby responded superiorly. “You can sleep on the floor if you don’t want to join me.”-  flashing a mischievous grin.

“You won’t get my bed alone. You won’t be lucky enough.”- Mar teased as he tucked himself beside his companion and Gabby cuddled him immediately.

“Wait.” Mar hushed as he stood up and draw the curtains close. “My cousin’s just outside, sleeping.”

Gabby stared at him as Mar undressed himself and lay back to the bed. After two days of travelling and tiring work, Gabby was home once more- in Mar’s arms.

xxx

“What happened?” Mar asked himself. He was not aware that his voice was loud enough to echo on his empty room. He continued to puff, feeling every inch of the be-lingering bitterness run through his throat, to his chest, and the confounding realization of his dreams to his mind until he saw what he wanted to see somewhere in the corner of his mind- or utmost the painful memory of the moment when the very first crack in his relationship with Gabby transpired.