Chapter 7- Kyle

Chapter 7- Kyle

The temperature decreased even more as we made it to the living room. Suddenly, I felt snow on my hair and clothes. In the kitchen, was shattered glass and a growing pile of snow.

A large wooden trunk of a tree had crashed right into the house's glass deck doors. Splinters and shards of broken glass laid all over the tiled floor, flecked with a growing amount of snow. Little streams of grey smoke were floating out from the candles and firewood where there used to be flames.

Quickly stepping through broken glass shards and snow, I grabbed our dinner and hurried into the living room. A few seconds later, Ivan and Lea rushed in. Ivan had all the blankets in his hand and Lea was still carrying the cards and the board games. The good news was that our dinner was saved. But the bad news was that the large amounts of snow blowing in through the hole in the deck doors soon started to pile up in Lea's kitchen. Every second, I felt the room grow colder.

I fumbled through the dusty closet once more and retrieved a roll of duct tape. I took the tape and explained to Lea and Ivan that I would try to seal off the broken part of the deck window, even though I was pretty sure it might not hold for that long.

"It's worth a try," Lea told me.

Before I did anything, I wrapped myself in a heavy blanket and put on a ski jacket that belonged to Lea's dad. First, Ivan and I mopped, or at least tried to mop all of the snow and broken glass out of the area.

Then, after getting a long piece of the stretchy, sticky, tape, I smoothed it onto the cracked door and ripped the piece off. Over, and over, I did this until the wind and snow stopped blowing into the house. Once I finally finished, I went straight to the bathroom, tracking snow with me everywhere. I removed my socks, which were now soaking wet, and brushed off all the snow that clung to the jacket and blanket. Shivering, I returned to see what Ivan and Lea were doing.

Since the kitchen was now a mess, we moved and set everything up in the living room. After eating a speedy dinner, I took all the paper plates and cups and toothpicks and crammed them into the snow covered garbage. I asked Ivan about the time and he said 7:20.

For the rest of the evening, until 8:30, we played cards and Scrabble under the light from the candles Lea was able to save. We could have used the flashlights, but Lea thought that it would be best to save them for later. The only light outside came from the few stars and the small crescent moon. At 8:30, the three of us got bored, and just started chatting.

The tape shouldn't have held this long. Lea suggested that it was because the storm had started to settle down that my plan actually worked out.

It wasn't until about 10:00, when Lea fell asleep. I looked out the window and saw that Lea's cute, tiny snowflakes had returned. About 30 minutes later, Ivan and I began to sleep as well.

***

Boom! Boom! Creak! The sounds jolted me awake. I looked around to see that Ivan was starting to sit up groggily, probably noticing the strange noise as well. He showed me his watch, which now read 1:45. Next, there was another creaking sound followed by wind. Someone had entered the house! Good, now Lea's parents were probably home. The thought of having parents in the house made me feel relieved for once.

I nudged Lea (she was a very deep sleeper), whose head was on at least two pillows and said to her, "I think your parents are home." 

As soon as I talked, all the noise from downstairs suddenly stopped. It was as if my voice had triggered something. I motioned for Lea and Ivan to be quiet. After another 30 seconds, the creaking/scratching sound started again. These definitely were not Lea's parents.

Lea walked out of her room, but almost immediately came back in, with her fingers to her lips and a look of fear on her face that I could see even in the dark. Ivan and I crawled out of the bedroom and took a peek. It was dark and I didn't think using the flashlight was a good idea, but from what I could make out, there were two people in the living room, dressed in dark clothes. Both were wearing black masks and gloves. They both had something on their hips that looked like guns.

"Robbers," I whispered to Ivan, who nodded and slowly started backing into the room. Our town didn't have robberies that often, but Lea's house was pretty grand, and maybe the robbers thought of this snowstorm as an opportunity.

Now we were back into Lea's room, sitting silently while the robbers most likely stole all Lea's parent's jewelry and money in the house. Ivan dug out a softball from a random drawer and told us that he was willing to chuck it at the robbers.

Of course Ivan would do something like this, I thought to myself. However, there weren't any other ideas.

Lea also got out her baseball bat and handed it to Ivan just in case. Slowly, the three of us snuck out to the deck overlooking the living room. Right now, the only thing I was hoping for was that Ivan wouldn't get us killed.

In the dark, I saw him take aim, and then chuck the ball down towards the robbers.

Beep Beep! Beep Beep!

The sudden noise surprised all of us. Lea jumped back a few inches. I swerved my head towards the direction of the sound. Ivan had hit the poisonous gas detector on the side of the wall and set it off. The robbers must have not noticed that he threw a softball at them because instead of running, they hurried over to the gas detector and tried to shut it off. 

Amateurs, I thought to myself. 

One of them was holding his gun, pointing it around the darkness, trying to find us.

Now, only having the bat, Ivan threw it towards the robber handling the alarm, but missed and hits the smoke alarm again as well as the robber's hand, I think... One of the robbers let out a tiny yelp, as a loud bang sounded throughout the room. Ivan really needed to work on his throwing skills.

A bullet went whizzing through the air and the three of us all ducked from instinct. I was afraid Lea was going to scream, but she constrained herself. Now it seems as if the robbers have finally realized that they should be escaping and ran for the door. But almost out of nowhere, Lea hands me a book labeled Encyclopedia of Everything she got from a bookshelf in her room. 

Getting pretty desperate, I hauled it at the robbers, which hit one of them on the head, I can't tell which one, and knocks him out. The other one bolts out the door. (One of the things I learned from this was that giant encyclopedias could sometimes be useful).

Lea, Ivan and I rushed downstairs right away and examined the scene. Ivan said that we should bash him in the head a few more times, but Lea and I decided not. Lea told us that we should take the robber's gun away, but was too scared to touch it, so I grabbed both weapons off the ground and tossed them into the kitchen. Lea winced, as if one of them might go off.

There wasn't anything we could do about the robber that got away or anything he took, but Lea was just glad that nobody got hurt.

I also felt that we needed some more help just in case the robbers woke up, so I went into Lea's portable phone, which was just starting to work a little and with the last bit of remaining power, found the speed dial; Kate.

Does her phone have service? I wondered as a ringing noise came from the phone. Luckily, I soon heard Kate's voice from the other end. Actually, I wouldn't really say voice. I heard a lot of mumbling that seemed like Kate, and began to speak.

Hastily, I shouted at Kate and told her about the situation and asked if she could come over ASAP. Kate said something that sounded like Mhmm, which I thought meant "yeah, sure".

Hoping that Kate arrived soon, we three decided to call the police from the home phone, which we thought now had network. Ivan and I didn't have service on our phones yet.

After multiple failed attempts, Ivan said, "The robbers probably disconnected the phone line. That must have been the scratching sound we heard."

Putting down the phone, I sighed and laid down on Lea's couch.