Willow Wood: Chapter Five

Willow Wood

                                                         CHAPTER FIVE  

I had woken up a while ago but I didn’t want to get up. It is the day before Thanks Giving and I knew that as soon as I showed my face I would be sent on an impossible mission.

Mom did this every year. She wouldn’t be stressed at all. Then, on the eve and the day itself, she would be running around like a chicken with her head cut off, worrying and sending us to go do stuff for her. It was maddening and the thing was; Anihi always caught the attitude from her, and then Nate would get it from her.

In the end I was the one to calm them down and be the gracious host to our guests. Dad used to fill that role but I took it up when he….ya.

We always invite all the people we know over, and even a few we don’t, until our home is so full it resembles a stuffed turkey, and we have to cook enough to feed a small army.

This year would be no different. I could already here Mom yelling at Nate to vacuum the whole down stairs, and for Anihi to sweep the porch and steps outside.

Sighing I got up, leaving the warm cocoon of my comforter, and did my morning routine. I had just finished braiding my hair when a head poked around my door.

“Mom wants you to go to the store and pick up decorations.”

I nodded slipping on my mauve flats with the yellow backs. “What’s the theme this time?” last year’s theme had been Turkey, we still had some turkey plates and paper turkey lanterns.

“Elegant, classy, quietly holiday.”

“Okay, what’s the color scheme she wants?”

“Browns, tans, and metallic.”

“I can do that. How much can I spend?” she handed me a dark blue debit card.

“She says buy what you think would look best, but be reasonable. If you think you can find a better bargain; do.”

I grinned. This would take a while, maybe the whole morning.

“Ya, ya.” Anihi hit my arm. “Don’t gloat.” I nodded and grabbed my periwinkle purse.

We hopped down the spiral stair case to the first floor and I saw Mom in the kitchen, her hair falling out of her pony tail, whipping the cream viciously. The oven dinged and she turned around, pulling on an oven mitt, and she pulled out a pie. I turned away swiftly because I knew if I looked at its deliciousness for one more second I would have it in my mouth.

I walked past Nate, who was now dusting. I chose to ignore his miserable expression; it would be long forgotten by tomorrow evening. I turned to knob on the glass door to the pallor and opened the door to find Alexander sitting on one of our new love seats we had bought along with all the rest of the new furniture for the house.

He was mostly healed now, though he would have a few cool scars and he still held a bruise or two. He had told Mom why he had been in that state, but not me or anybody else. When I had asked her what it was she wouldn’t tell me, and neither would he. It was almost like Anihi all over again. I had wondered briefly if he had been in an abusive family, or maybe part of a gang, but I had push those thought away because they just didn’t feel right.

Mom had decided to let him stay, for as long as he wanted. But she wasn’t going to adopt him like she pretty much had Anihi.

He had his arms crossed and his eyes closed, breathing evenly. I diverted from my path and plopped down next to him. When that didn’t wake him up I poked him. His eyes snapped open and he stood quickly, standing straight. “What next?” he asked. His eyes were still sleepily blurry, and I guessed he thought I was my Mom.