Chapter 25

“So your brother ratted you out then eh?” Thomas was shaking his head as I came to the end of my story.

“Yes. My very own big brother.”

“That’s worse than the cranky lady down the street I suppose”

“It certainly wasn’t something I was expecting.”

“Then again, even if you were headed in the right direction, and even if you did make it to the mountain lands, which I doubt either, you wouldn’t have found nothin’ left but scared babies hidin’ in the woods.”

I had to admit a part of me still held onto the idea that there was a group of people somewhere that would sympathize with me and who wanted more out of life than an assignment from their community. Thomas’ existence in the cell across from me was proof that I was right. The existence of his village had solidified that dream and even though logic told me he was right, that the government’s far reaching arm had captured and possibly wiped them out, did not stop me from hoping that others like his community were still out there and would accept a strong young girl willing to work in exchange for real information about real history and real life, with open arms.

“I’m sure there are more than just your people out there.” I waved my hand in the air arbitrarily.

“Don’t know. Still. I would have paid a pretty penny to see the looks on the faces of those stuffy book pushers when you blasted them with a good dose of music and films. Good stuff that one.” He was chuckling to himself.

“Did you have movies in your community? Have you seen them before?”

“No, not regularly. There was one time when a visitor’s friend had brought with him a little device that played a nice tune and showed some folks singing and dancing around. It’s what inspired us to start our own dances in the woods. Good times those were. We’d haul our music makin’ bits and pieces out into the forest and play up a storm with fires blazing and food we’d stashed for weeks and folks would dance their hearts out. Don’t suppose that’ll be happenin’ again anytime soon.”

“That is amazing. What do you suppose the odds are that we could have met in the mountains instead of in prison.”

“I don’t figure odds on the past. Only the present. And the odds I’m figurin’ these days are the odds on the two of us getting out of here together, rather than just me alone.”

My heart skipped a beat and I leaned forward, as if a few inches would close the gap of several feet between us, or part two sets of iron bars. “What are you talking about?” I lowered my voice in consternation. It was a wild idea, incredible and impossible, but it was a new idea, something my mind was starving for. I’d gone through all the days of my past that I cared to. I was unable to carve out any sort of future possibilities knowing that a mind wipe was inevitable. The only sparks of light in my life these days had been the bits and pieces of conversation with Thomas. Stolen in snippets above the din of angry criminals, losing their minds slowly, about to have them taken permanently.

“Shhh, Lassy!” Thomas held a finger to his lips and pointed down the hall behind me. I turned to look in that direction and saw the swinging arm of a guard making his way to our end of the row of cells. I jumped to my feet and sat on my bed, waiting for him to pass. Talking to Thomas had not quenched my need for companionship. Telling him my story and hearing his had only made me hungry for more. Sitting back in the confines of my block made me jumpy and nervous. Before it had been a cocoon, now, with the tiniest hint of a future besides the wipe, I was feeling extremely antsy.

The guard walked past my cell and stopped then banged on the wall with a club. “Attention Block W” he was using some sort of device so that he could be heard above the regular noise. “A select number of you have been granted a pass to spend a free day in the out of doors. You will be required to take this pass. Those with healthy bodies need sunlight to maintain their health and well being and will be shackled and led to the common areas outside the detention facility. Your families have been notified and those of you chosen will have a chance to see any family members who elect to visit you, one last time before your next assignment is given. You will be collected tomorrow morning. Please prepare as you see fit.”