Chapter 11

Checking in at the Eatery was not nearly as invasive. I simply presented my papers and they scanned my card into their food distribution system. Apparently this is how they handled food allotments here. Back home we were given our food for the entire week in one delivery. If one member of the household was being disciplined it was up to the other members to make sure they received only what was their portion. My family had been very careful about this rule. I liked to think it was because the Auto Eye was always there, watching and ready to pounce. More likely it was because my brother was waiting to pounce. Here they informed me that should I be disciplined with loss of food allotments they would merely deduct the credits on my card for each meal that was sanctioned.

The lady running the kiosks in the Eatery seemed friendly enough so I ventured to ask her a question. “Excuse me?”

“Yes? What is it?” She was already flipping through the next student’s papers.

“Why is everyone talking in the hallways?” I felt foolish asking, but curiosity got the better of me.

The Eatery woman smiled, “New here?”

“Yes ma’am.”

“The first week of school is considered a free week. Since so many of you are new each semester, the students are encouraged to get to know one another, make new acquaintances and help each other find their way around. Beginning at week’s end all the clamor will stop and you’ll be able to hear a pin drop in between classes again.“

I thanked her and went on my way, glad to know of this tradition. As I made my way to the library to pick up my books I looked around and listened to some of the conversations. It seemed many of these students already knew each other. How was I going to meet anyone or make any friends? I’d never had that chance before and I wasn’t sure how to go about doing it.

The library had a “serve yourself” policy. It took me quite a while to find the books I needed but then I quickly checked them out with my card and started searching the maps for the dormitory I was assigned to: B.

Judging by the number of maps and the maze of hallways I’d already been through, I was fairly certain that the Secondary School was bigger than my community back home, including the forest. There were interesting sites down every corridor. The doors were open to some classrooms. I could see rows and rows of books in one, maps in another, bins full of electronic pieces lined the wall of yet another.

I spent the better part of an hour searching when I finally gave up, sat down on a bench to take a deep breath and try to regain my sense of direction. I thought I had found it at one point. It was certainly a dormitory, but it turned out to be D. Soon after I took up the bench two girls came walking very slowly past me. They were remarkable. I’d never seen anything like them before. They were sharing a map between them and looking up and pointing  in different directions. This wasn’t uncommon, there were other students doing the same thing all over the place. However, these two were a mirror image of each other. Right down to their braids. I couldn’t help but stare. I’d heard of twins before, but never seen a set. Here they were right in front of me, their double faces looking just as lost as I felt.

“Are you looking for something?” I asked. I passed several places in my wanderings, I figured I might be able to help them.

“Yes!” the one on the left looked up with large eyes. “We are assigned to Dormitory B but can’t seem to find it.”

“So am I,” I stood up in the excitement of meeting someone nice, who I would be living with, “looks like you’re having the same trouble as me.”

“It’s this way.” A tall lanky boy was walking past us and overheard. “No one can ever find the B dorm. Follow me.”

The three of us girls looked at each other with relief and followed the strides of our new leader. He took us back through a series of twists and turns, some of which I recognized, and then pointed to a sign a few paces ahead of us down a hall I hadn’t noticed before.

“There it is. You can always find B because of the giant recycling bin out here in the main corridor. It’s the only one that isn’t gray.” I looked to his left and sure enough there was a large, blue recycler perched in the middle of the hallway and already half full of maps and assignment papers that were no longer needed.

“Thank you!” We chorused as we headed to our new home.

“I’m called 12129 and my sister is 12130. 12 and 13 for short. How about you?” One of the twins was looking at me now.

“Oh.. I’m 4254.” It felt so strange to have someone my own age talking to me. I had been ignored or harassed for so long, I didn’t quite know how to respond.

“Great! Where are you from?”

“Community 699. It’s to the south of here I believe.”

“We’ve never been there. We haven’t visited many other communities though.” This was the other twin speaking now, 13. “Have you?”

“Have I what?”

“Been anywhere besides here and home?”

“No, never. This is my first time leaving my community.”

“It’s massive right?” 12 was chiming in now. I liked how they took turns with their matching voices.

“It’s bigger than anywhere I’ve ever dreamed of. It’s like it’s own mega community.” We were stepping in the door now. “Cards please?” There were three women taking cards at the door. They looked to be in their 30 years, almost 40. They each had their hair done in the same fashion, a large knot on top of their heads. And they were each wearing the same dark gray colored smock. Darker than our own with a large B printed on the chest.

I handed my card to the closest one. She took it and began to explain the procedures for our new lives.

“There is a strict ten o’clock curfew. All of the lights and power goes off at ten sharp and you are to be in your bed in preparation for this marker each day. We are your house mothers, 1, 2 and 3.” She gestured to herself when she said 2 and the others were 1 and 3. “No one of the opposite sex is allowed in dormitory B. There will be no food allowed in dormitory B. There is a common room for use in studying, but no projects are to be constructed in the common room. Your private room or the labs are available for that. You will be assigned a roommate... oh, wait. There is a note on your file. You are 699-32442-4254?”

“Yes.” my palms started to get a bit clammy as she flipped through the screen on her card scanner.

“Yes, let me see. You will not be having a traditional roommate situation. Generally first year girls are assigned to live with other first year girls but given your special situation it has been advised that you have a single compartment with adjoining personal room shared with 0203.”

I did not like being singled out like this in front of the twins or the other girls who filed in behind me. I looked at Mother2 with pleading eyes, willing her to hurry up and just tell me where to go. I had no desire to explain my special situation. To my great relief she handed me back my card and pointed me down the hall behind her.

“When you get to the end turn left, it’s number 52. The rest of the regulations are posted on the door. You should have them memorized by the end of the week. There is no such thing as not knowing a rule.”

I walked around the table and stood behind her. I wanted to wait for the twins to finish with their lectures, wondering if they’d heard all of mine. I’m sure everyone had, it got so quiet when she paused before handing me my card. Maybe it was just my over anxious imagination.

“So where are you guys at?” I asked in a friendly voice, trying to make light of the previous few minutes.

“We’re just down here a few doors, 32?”

“Where did they assign you? And how did you get yourself a private room?”

“You must have some friends on the Board of Room Assignments.” They were bouncing back and forth again but 13 smiled at me when she said this, giving my heart a much needed dose of relief.

“Honestly I don’t know.” I decided to leave it at the truth.

“We’re going to drop our stuff off. Do you want to eat evening meal together?” 12 asked prettily.

“That would be great,” I said.

“See you then,” echoed 13.

I turned from them and headed for my private room and my older roommate, no longer worried or afraid. I was feeling something I hadn’t felt in a very, very long time. I just found my way through the biggest mess of building I’d ever been to in my life. I was successfully made over to match the rest of the students, retrieved my own books and food rations and checked myself into my new living quarters. Best of all, I just made my first friend - two friends to be exact! For the first time in a long time I felt happy.