Orphan - Red x Reader

A/N

WHY

JUST WHY

WHY IS THIS STILL GOING

***

"Hey Red!" You said cheerfully. He just glared back and kept walking into the night. You smiled and shook your head. Same old Red.

He was walking towards the beach, but not towards his house. You decided to follow him... without him knowing, of course. He kept walking farther and farther away from his house. You followed, hiding under the occasional bush.

Finally, he stopped at a small stone. You frowned as he knelt down in front of it.

"Hi, uh, Mom and Dad. It's that time of year again where, y'know... it's your Honoring Day. Because I don't know when either of your Hatchday or anniversaries are. I don't even know if you're dead or alive even, and I don't have a gravestone. But anyway, here." Red revealed a large bouquet of flowers he had been hiding under his wing. He gently placed it in front of the rock.

You felt your heart break a little.

"And if you're not dead and you ever decide to come back, then please let me know. I... I live on the beach, in a big white house with a mini stream thing around it." Red sighed. "I'm just... going to sit here... for a while." He said, curling himself into a ball. He stayed like that.

After a few second, you slowly walked towards him and put a hand on his shoulder while saying, "Red."

Red froze and whipped his head around. "You again!" he said from his sitting position, his beak clenched and his wing balled in a fist. His eyes followed you as you sat down next to him. You were staring intently at the rock, which said "Mom and Dad" on it.

"How did you know I was here-" he began but was cut off by you.
"I didn't know you were an orphan." You said gently.

Red turned towards the rock and didn't look t you. "Well now you know." He growled.

Silence passed.

"Do you do this every year?" You could feel Red glaring at you about your question.
"I won't tell." You added, putting your knees to your chin and resting your head on them.

"How can I trust you?"
"Cross my heart, hope to die." You said casually. You were good at keeping secrets.

Red considered your proposition, and then sighed. "If you must know, then yes."

You smiled. "That's really sweet of you." You said, looking at him.
"Why are you here again?" He asked, annoyed.
"I thought you might need some company."
"I work better alone. Go on, shoo!"
"My name is (Y/N)."
"Whatever, (Y/N)."

"I think you're just uncaring because no one ever cared for you." You turned towards the rock again.

Red froze. You could feel his eyes still on you.

He then regained himself. "How the hell would you know..." He mumbled, shooting daggers as you.

You gave a small, pained smile.

"Because I'm an orphan too," you whispered. It stung everytime you said it.
"Really? You? But you are always so cheerful and everything!" Red said, astounded.

"Yeah well... Hiding it is the only way I know how..." You said as your eyes began to sting with tears.

"It still hurts every time I say it." You smiled bitterly.
"At least you're a good person. I'm just an idiot with anger issues."
"You're compassionate."
"No I'm not!"
"Yes you are. You just don't show it." You looked at him with a soft look in your eyes.

More silence passed. You could only hear the sound of the waves on the beach. Red was staring intently at the rock and you saw him swallow.

"It's okay to cr-"
"I'm not crying!" Red would've gotten away with it too if it wasn't for his voice cracking. He shut his eyes tight and buried his face in his knees.

"I miss them too," you pulled Red closer to you until he was snuggled up against your shoulder. Your shoulder quickly became wet with his tears. "I'm sorry." You muttered and held him close to your chest while you struggled to hold back your own tears. Red was now sobbing a bit more visibly, so you pressed him against your chest and held him there to comfort him.

After a few minutes passed, you heard him say two words.

"Thank... You..."