[ C h a p t e r - N i n e t e e n ]

Chapter 19

I rubbed my hands together nervously. After a long conversation with my brother last night, I came up with a plan. It has to do with my mystery kiss, which has been driving me completely and utterly insane these past few days. I haven’t been getting the right amount of sleep at night and I’ve been like a zombie. But this will all come to an end because I have the perfect plan.

If I can’t kiss Jonah, then I’ll have to try and kiss Francis.

I stared at the gymnasium door from afar. I got some firsthand insight from a few jocks that were in front of me in the cafeteria lunch line; they were complaining about how the boy’s locker room bathroom is messed up so they constantly have to use the bathroom down the hallway.  

I already switched the signs on the doors; the one for the boy’s bathroom is now screwed onto the janitor’s closet door. I really hope he can’t tell the difference. Or maybe he won’t care and he’ll pee on the floor. I shuddered at the thought. I saw the door opening and Francis casually walked out, dressed in his football uniform. He was whistling casually and I stood up, out of his view and darted into the janitor’s closet. I switched the lights off and hid.

Light entered the room along with Francis’s bulky figure. He stopped whistling as he looked around and I leaped forward, pressing my lips to his. Bad things were running through my mind; what if he pushes me off of him because he thinks I’m a guy? What if he doesn’t let me leave and finds out who I am and assumes I have a major crush on him?

I was analyzing the kiss although it was pretty one sided. Francis seemed frozen and I was just standing in front of him, standing on my tippy toes, kissing him. When I realized that that was as far as I was going to get, I jumped back and exited the janitor’s closet, running as fast as I could to get away.

I ran down the hallway and around a bend, making sure I got to the parking lot. I ran out to the parking lot where there were about fifteen cars. I found mine and I ran over to it, panting heavily. I placed my hands on my knees when I heard sneakers hitting asphalt behind me. How’d he catch up with me?

“Savannah, what’s wrong?” I turned to see Sabrina who had on sweatpants and a tank top. I looked around at the snow. Did she not feel the cold? I had a reason not to; I mean, I just ran through nearly half of the school.

“I can’t breathe,” I was panting. My legs are burning as if they’re on fire.  

She patted my back as I stood up. She handed me a water bottle and I chugged it, my vision was blurry. “Were you following me?”

She shook her head. “I was at a track meet.”

I stared at her, wide eyed. She runs track? The girl who wears pink and high heels runs track? I would assume she cheerleads. “You run track?”

“Cross country," she smiled proudly and I nodded. “Now what were you running from?”

“I...just wanted to run!” I lied, giggling nervously.

She nodded. “Of course, that’s why you were running with a terrified look on your face. I run like that, too. Now seriously, why were you running?”

“I kissed Francis,” I replied quietly. She stared at me for a moment.

“Come again?” she asked, raising an eyebrow.

“I kissed Francis,” I told her a bit louder.

She placed her hand on her forehead. “What? Why?”

I explained the situation about Christmas Eve to her and the mystery kisser and she was staring at me with a frown on her face. “Well, was it him?”