Chapter Ten: Outsider

The little girl walked down the hallway with a skip in her step, fiddling idly with her long, wispy blonde hair. She was shamefully excited at the thought of getting Sam in trouble. Her mother never believed her, but this time she was going to her father. He would help her to get her doll back.

Her steps faltered near the door of his office, from where she could hear distinct voices. The door was left slightly open, so she scooted closer as quietly as she could, suddenly very curious.

“…you see that you’re not wanted here?” somebody sneered. She frowned at the malevolence in their tone, but didn’t recognise the voice. “You’re not one of us.”

Her face fell at this. At seven years old, she knew few things. However, she was aware that her family was different from the others, or her father at least. People looked at him strangely, and she didn’t miss the harsh words whispered when they passed. It didn’t bother her, though. She loved her father.

“All I want is to live in peace with my family.” He replied, anger seeping into his usually gentle tone.

The unfamiliar voice scoffed. “You’ve only been allowed to stay as a courtesy to Sandra, but know that you’ll never be one of us.” He growled. She was frightened, but frozen in place. She had never heard such cruel words, even if she did not understand a few of them. Her father began to reply, but his voice was very quiet. She inched closer, and tripped over what could only be her own feet.

With a surprised squeal, she stumbled into the doorway of her father’s study, eyes wide. Both men inside snapped their heads around to look at her. Her father looked concerned, whereas the other person, a scary, bulky man, only seemed annoyed. Without another word, he stormed out, nearly pushing the little girl aside in his haste.

“Who was that, daddy?” she asked her father with big, worried eyes. He walked over to where she sat, blue eyes twinkling, and knelt down to her height.

“Nobody, honey.” He replied, attempting a smile. He wrapped his arms gently around her. “It’s going to be alright.” He sounded like he was trying to convince himself, but she believed him anyway. Everything was always okay.

 -

Several years later, she was smart enough to realise that nothing was okay. Her father was scum among the high and mighty. He was beneath them, the lowest in their community. Their mother easily ignored it all, not ever saying a word against this endless torment.

As she matured, the girl had grown to resent her mother. She didn’t care about the cruel things that they heard, nor her husband’s blunt exclusion from all gatherings.

But overall, she hated her brother the most. Sam was nearly four years older than her and Luke, and ever since they were little loved to be cruel. Stealing toys when they were young had escalated to spreading rumours and humiliating his younger siblings.

Still, she tried to make an effort. At thirteen, her friends were scarce, and she found herself relying more and more on her twin for friendship. Her family was a dysfunctional mess of hatred and differences.

It was fast approaching the twins’ fourteenth birthday, when they were to finally be like the other children. There had been much speculation as to whether it would really happen, due to their parentage, but Sam was proof at seventeen that perhaps their lives could be normal once they were fourteen.

“Will it hurt?” she asked him one day. “Jess said it would.” He didn’t spare her a glance away from the TV, pressing buttons in a flurry of motion as he played his games.