Chapter Nine: Recognition

Clara was quiet for the next few days.

She hadn’t been allowed to stray much farther than the door of her hospital room – more thanks to Wyatt’s concern that her actual health. As she’d expected, she was healing quickly. After nearly a week of cold food and endless boredom, he deemed her well enough to be brought home. Her swift recovery puzzled him noticeably, but he didn’t voice his questions.

Dressed in a T-shirt and loose-fitting jeans that he had brought her, she sat in the passenger seat of the car, staring quietly out of the window as the town of Evansdale rushed past.

Her silence was all due to her brother’s departure. She felt like she had betrayed him. Wyatt also seemed to have few words, although he managed to make her smile. It was easy to forget that he was the reason her twin left her.

They arrived back at his house after nearly an hour of driving. Before she could step out of the car, he was at her side.

“You shouldn’t walk,” he said firmly. “Your leg’s still healing.” She rolled her eyes at him, taking a hesitant step. She held back a hiss of pain, unwilling to let him know how weak she currently was.

“I’m fine.” She told him. He didn’t believe her, and within seconds he had lifted her with ease into his arms. She let out a noise of surprise, feeling her cheeks heat up at their sudden closeness. She glanced away sharply, well aware that her side was pressed up against his warm chest.

After pushing the car door closed behind them with his foot, Wyatt set off towards the house, carrying her bridal-style. Once they were inside, she squirmed uncomfortably against him.

“You can put me down now.” She informed him quietly. He ignored her, like before, and continued walking until they reached the living room, where he gently placed her down on the sofa. She sank into the cushions, noticing that he lingered above her for a few extra seconds. He sat down beside her.

“I’m sorry about those wolves.” She blurted suddenly, hoping that his silence didn’t mean he was angry about it. She and her twin had killed at least four wolves that night. Of course, she didn’t regret it, but felt the guilt of causing him pain.

He looked at her sharply, a frown overtaking his features. Worry spread through her. So he was mad. “The ones that attacked you?” he sounded incredulous, shaking his head. “Don’t be. If they were still alive, I would kill them myself.” His tone was low and threatening, although she knew it wasn’t held towards her. His anger still surprised her – she hadn’t seen him like this before. But it didn’t scare her. In her nineteen years, she had faced a lot worse.

“How’s your pack taking it?” she asked tentatively, not wishing to anger him further.

He shrugged, the tension leaving his shoulders. “Howard and his friends weren’t exactly very popular. Everyone was just waiting for them to do something stupid.”

Her recollection of the night was still a little hazy, but she knew that one wolf had fled when Luke arrived. Her eyebrows narrowed with confusion. “One of them got away.” She told Wyatt. “What happened to him?”

Her mate’s expression darkened slightly, but he nodded. “Jack. His scent was all over the place, but we couldn’t find his body. I sent some men out after him, and they brought him back yesterday.”

“Did you…kill him?” she tried not to make it sound like a suggestion.

“No. I was going to, but then I got a call from the Evansdale hospital.” He said. “I’m informed about any ‘animal’ attacks within twenty miles of our land. It’s usually the rogues that attack people.”