Kinpōge

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE
____________
–•–

       IN THE MIDST OF THE SEARCH FOR A PERSON WHO ALWAYS CHOSE VIOLENCE as the only solution for any problem, Kakashi was already exhausted

IN THE MIDST OF THE SEARCH FOR A PERSON WHO ALWAYS CHOSE VIOLENCE as the only solution for any problem, Kakashi was already exhausted. Still, the weather was not terrible for pulling his hair from the roots, so he persisted.

      "Are you having fun?" His voice caused her lips to curl up as she stepped out from the shadows, her clothes in full Anbu gear. Kakashi's eyes scanned down her form through his mask. He could barely see her face through the Anbu cat mask, but he somehow knew her expression likely didn't match her amused tone of voice. "Another clone."

      "I'm living the dream right here," she motioned to the village's training building. "Running for my life and sending clones to greet you. It's honestly a waste of time."

      "Then why do it?" He asked simply, searching the area for a flicker of Chakra of his fellow Anbu Shinobi.

       She chuckled, "I didn't say it was my time I'm wasting. I'm hurt Kakashi. I thought it was going to be a small game of tag, but you involved a village."

       "What are you up to?" He asked, ignoring her obvious bait.

      "I missed you," came her reply, and even though he knew her statement was false, his heart made a traitorous beat against his chest. If it beat any faster, it would surely break his ribs.

      "If you utter one more lie, I will take out your clone," he said instead and watched as her oddly nostalgic (obviously a cold joke) Anbu mask tilted to the side as she stared at him. He barely noticed when she moved closer.

      "You are so quick to assume it's a lie. Maybe I've grown a heart," her voice shook with laughter.

      "What are you after?"

      "Changing the subject? Alright. I'll bite," she tapped her mask. "Why don't you guess? If you guess right, I'll turn myself in...I do hope they'll be kind to me when I'm apprehended." Her joking tone was something he wasn't used to seeing from her.

       "I'm not going to play any games, Anomie." Her name still tasted sweet on his tongue and he noticed she paused from advancing towards him.

      "Then I guess we're at a crossroads, because you and I both know that this is meant to be a distraction. Why are you falling for it?" She was in front of him before he had time to process it. "You're too smart for that, Kakashi. Why are you indulging me?"

      "Why are you here?"

       "I already told you: I miss you. It's not my fault you don't believe me." She laughed, taking a step back. "Maybe I love you. Maybe I've come back to apologize and beg you take me back. Maybe this village will pardon me and we'll live happily ever after."