Tamarikusu

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
____________
–•–

      ANOMIE HATED THE SMELL OF DEATH

      ANOMIE HATED THE SMELL OF DEATH. It was pungent and it tore through your nose with such force that even pressing a thick piece of cloth against your face wouldn't take the scent away. The smell was far worse than the sight. In her lifetime, she had grown immune to horrible sights. It was a sad reality that the blood and brains spilling out like a cracked egg no longer made her stomach drop in disgust.

      The smell however, that is something that no one can get used to, and if any killer says otherwise then she could practically taste their lie.

      That was the smell her own wound was beginning to transform into and Tobi's constant chatter didn't do anything to lessen her annoyance as the rain slushed against her back. She wanted to kill him so badly that her fingers twitched at her sides, and if the cloaked man could feel her bloodlust, he didn't say. She was just moments away from collapsing, but pride and her own paranoia kept her upright.

      "Perhaps we should rest, An-chan." His suggestion came out in a muse and Anomie felt her blood run cold at the nickname.

      "In the middle of nowhere, I think not," she retorted simply and she attempted to continue walking. She didn't feel comfortable resting in a place where her weaknesses were surrounding her every breath.

      Tobi went silent, and she relished in that silence, knowing it was going to be short lived. She didn't waste another moment to continue walking through the trees. "You plan on walking through the land of grass and iron on nothing but your will power."

      When he said it out loud, Anomie knew she was being stubborn and ridiculous, but the rain was beginning to wear her down and she grew fearful of every droplet that hit her. Slowly she turned towards him and her brows were furrowed in concentration as she stared into the shadowed hole that rested his eye. Her lips pursed before she closed her mouth.

      "What do you have in mind?" She finally asked and she noticed that his body straightened in enthusiasm. She didn't trust his happy emotions when she was unable to see his eyes. She didn't trust when his voice rose in excitement when she was unable to see the curvature of his lips.

      Simply put, I don't trust you.

      "I could find a place for you to rest, An-chan," he stated with a happy grin as he lifted his head and he towered above her so she was forced to look up to catch his eye. Although, she couldn't be certain where he was staring because the shadow and rain still restricted her vision.

      "Don't..." She paused, don't call me An-chan, she stopped herself from saying the full sentence. Somewhere in her stomach, the reminder of Konoha still made her sick. "Fine...just..." She stopped her sentence and felt a rush of pain jab her in her stomach where the stab wound still resided. The throbbing was beginning to hurt more than the initial cut, and her thoughts began to drift from their coherent placement. Her tongue was dry from its lack of water and her body was beginning to grow clammy and pale.