Ajisai

CHAPTER FOUR
____________
–•–

ANOMIE THOUGHT THAT THE EVEN WHEN HER CHEEKS WERE RED AND SHE WAS CRYING, Rin had a way of lighting up the room

ANOMIE THOUGHT THAT THE EVEN WHEN HER CHEEKS WERE RED AND SHE WAS CRYING, Rin had a way of lighting up the room. It was a strange thing to think when Anomie's own body was slack with exhaustion and pain. Still, around Rin, she was hardly ever herself. Or perhaps this was the version of herself that Anomie always wanted. Either way, she knew that Rin brought that side out with a smile.

"I'm sorry," Rin mumbled as she watched Anomie bandage her feet. The woman's expression was still empty; which contrasted Rin's swollen, tear stricken eyes and red face.

"It's just glass and feathers," Anomie said, moving onto fixing the wounds on Rin's other leg. Glass had cut into the heels of the girl's feet and down her legs. Anomie wasted no time to start disinfecting and cleaning off the blood, tossing pieces of glass into the trashcan. Her own feet were still bleeding, but it was easy to ignore as moments passed. "Easy to clean."

Rin's sobs grew, and her shoulders shook. "I'm so sorry." The younger girl's face was covered in her palms. The sobbing grew to sound almost painful, and Anomie had never had the experience of consoling someone, and only continued to clean the wounds.

She settled for humming, in calming tone, an old lullaby murmuring from her childhood. She could only vaguely remember her mother singing the very same song, a long time ago.

The lullaby seemed to calm Rin down, despite the fact that there was no words in the song, whether or not it originally had words, Anomie couldn't remember as she had been very young during the time her mother would shush her cries so no one would hear them at night. The lull of Anomie's voice, quiet and serene, made Rin's shoulders visibly still.

"What's that song?" Rin asked, her voice hoarse and cracked, obviously trying to distract herself from her tears.

"Soutanshi," Anomie said, her eyes meeting the watery ones of Rin. "It's an old one...and sounds better under the muse of a koto."

Anomie had always known the soothing affect of a lullaby, and heard Rin's silent request so she continued, her voice echoing against the walls of the bathroom. She sung louder, so as to cover the sound of Rin's sobs and preserve the girl's dignity.

The moment Anomie finished bandaging the girl's leg; Rin's arms threw around her neck and hugged her in a tight embrace. This sudden motion tore away Anomie's voice, and the girl's arms remained flat at her side before slowly returning Rin's embrace.

Despite sobbing, Rin refused to allow Anomie to treat her own wounds, and forced the girl to sit still as Rin took a look at the scars that covered Anomie's feet, still sore from the glass.

"I'm sorry," Rin murmured out, cleaning the wounds.

"My mother died...and I saw it happen," Anomie murmured, the topic causing Rin to glance up in surprise. "I lied before...when I said I didn't know what happened to her. She gave her life to save me from the recruiters...the human traffickers that wanted me. Girls were known to disappear off the streets...especially the pretty ones. No one cared. There is no one who would care more than a mother."