Chapter 5

I watched as the sun rose slowly into the dull morning sky, casting sunbeams in every direction while it illuminated the small town. I stared out the glass panes as it climbed higher and higher into the sky. But as beautiful as the morning was I knew today would be horrible.

I got unwillingly out of my cozy bed, today is 15th of December, which meant the day of the school’s masquerade ball. You know, that kind of carnival where they wear masks, and you have to stay there searching for your friends, and looking like a lonely? Yeah that. But luckily for me, I wasn’t going to go alone. Alex asked me out yesterday. Don’t take it too far, I like Alex, but we’re just friends, nothing more, nothing less. So, both of us didn’t have a date, so we chose to go together, as friends of course.

He was going to pick me up at 6, so I was looking forward to relax and take it as a lazy day. Well, not technically a day, but yeah you got it.

I descended my bare feet in the cold tiles of the stairs, rubbing my tired eyes. Again, the quarterback wasn’t going to leave my dreams alone. It’s kind of weird, it’s like he’s trying to tell me something through my dreams. But the whole raven story wasn’t helping me getting the message. I sighed. I’ll have to forget about it if I want to enjoy my lazy day.

I opened the cupboard, taking my favorite chocolate Nutella that I adore, and then took a spoon from the drawer. I opened the chocolate bottle and savored its delicious taste. 

I looked at the window, hearing a low tap on the glass pane.

“Hey little one,” I said opening the kitchen window to the charcoal small bird, “I was just thinking about you.” It croaked, as if answering me. I smiled, supporting my elbows on the counter, still eating my chocolate, looking at the raven that stood in front of me. Strange, it’s the exact same one that I dreamt about. I furrowed my eyebrows. What Blake has to do with a raven? It made no sense. I shrugged, it doesn’t matter. What I’m looking for tonight, is to not bump into him.

The feathered creature approached me; it seems it’s not going to fly away. Something around its neck brightened suddenly, and I curiously lowered my head to its level. A ring?

I brought my hand closer, hesitated a little bit. The bird didn’t move, it stayed still, as waiting for me to take it. I took the ring attached on around its neck. I studied it. It was a rounded gold ring. Why the hell would a crow wear a ring around its neck?

While I was admiring the beautiful piece of jewelry in my hands, I heard the sound of flapping wings. It flew away.

I looked at the person in front of me, surprised. That girl in the mirror isn’t me. I know, I know, my mom tells me I have a bad habit to always flirt with myself. But honestly saying I’m hardly recognizing myself right now!

I was wearing a dark green strapless long chiffon dress, covered in Chrystal on the top. The dress was loosely covering my body, showing my curves perfectly. The mask is similarly decorated, white lined with green lace encrusted with crystals. I matched the dress with stud earrings and a necklace with a small diamond in the middle, and black high heels. I used a champagne colored eye shadow, and coats of mascara, and a thin line of eyeliner. I finished my makeup with a light pink lipstick and a blush on my cheeks. I curled my hair and made it fall to my back till it reached my waist, and I was ready.

“You look gorgeous!”

A smile crossed my face as I paused at the top of the stairs, glancing at my mom at the bottom of them. She was clapping in excitement as I continued down them, taking extra care not to stumble in my heels. When I made to the bottom, she hugged me so tightly that I was nearly out of breath.