The secret was revealed

VII

          It’s been days since I last talked to Chris, Lian and Sydrian because I choose to keep my distance Mion was my only companion through all this. On our way to the canteen Lian called us.

“Ro, please help Sid---“before she could finish I run back to where she came from thinking of Sydrian in trouble. The crowd tripped us off. I saw Chris and Sydrian were sprawled all over the floor. Chris was punching Sydrian but Sid didn’t fight back.

“I trusted you, you bastard!” Chris yelled.

“I love her, Chris. I’ve been keeping my feelings all this years because you’re all my best friends and I’m afraid to break our friendship! But I can’t hide it anymore! Please understand!”

A nervous gasped from the crowd when Chris formed his very own ball of fire aiming to Sid.

“Stop!” I shouted and throw my body in front of Sid as Chris released his magic.

“Ro!” I heard Lian, Mion and Chris yelled.

I closed my eyes and felt a heat coming from my mark, I saw it lighten in pale yellow and felt the magic bounced off leaving me unharmed. The crowd were shock they look at me in disbelief. I run back the hall fighting to hold my tears. I heard my friends called me but didn’t look back. I went in the cubicle and silently sobbed. I wasn’t sure what I was crying the fact that Sydrian and Lian were in a relationship or the idea of the crowd that I was a freak. All of the sudden, I heard whispers and giggles.

“I knew that girl was a freak. Too bad for her parents to have a child like her” They laugh. I recognized them as Libby and Monica, royal morois that were the ex-girlfriend of Benedict and George, my moroi suitors.

“Maybe that’s how he charmed our boyfriends.”

VIII

          I skipped my classes and went to the library. I searched for the book that will help me know my abilities. I got a hold of a book entitled, “The Redemption”

I sat at the back of the shelves avoiding the sight of the librarian. I opened the book and read some articles in it. “The victim shall receive the gift of blood and the chosen one shall take the curse of his sacrifice---death.”

I curled my brows what does this mean? I continue reading. “He may be invulnerable to the undead but these creature shall lust her blood to be invincible” I moved to the next line “As long as she’s in the light, the undead can’t make contact but as soon as she perceive the valley of darkness the world will suffer with him” I thought about Jill’s lesson about figurative analyzation.

Briefly, I had clearly understand it and was thunderstruck, God! Strigoi will hunt me down for my blood! Strigoi can’t touch me when I’m alive but can drain my blood once I’m killed. My blood has healing properties but it will kill me to offer some. It was so hard to absorb.

“Have you heard that Strigoi’s unusually carrying metal knives now a days?” I heard the guardian whispered.

“Yeah, I heard Rob telling guardian Belikov about the strigoi that they encountered.”

Realization hit me, the strigois knew about me and they are up to seek me. That’s why my father hasn’t leaved the academy yet, he was keeping an eye on me. I dashed out from the library carrying the book and hid it under my pillow.

“Rossetti?” my father called. I turned to him.

“Why are you not in class?” I didn’t answered. He sat beside me and said,

“I just want you to know, princess, that your mother and I are so proud to have you as a daughter” he hugged me and I cried into his arms.

“Thanks dad” I walked into class after my heart-to- heart talk with my dad, my classmates were silenced when I came in I look at them and smiled

“What?” I said as though nothing happened. They all smiled back and greeted me. I noticed Sydrian was quiet and from time to time glance at me. I bet he was shy and guilty in line of what happened. I turned towards him inhaled and said

“Hey! What’s up” He blink and timidly smiled back.

“Ro, thanks for helping me back there if it wasn’t for you I may be a toast chicken now.” He laughed

“And I’m sorry for keeping a secret”. I accepted his apology. At the end of the class, I told him that I’ll take a walk, he insisted to come with me but I refused. I settled myself in the river bank where I felt peace and calmness. I felt someone sat beside me I look up and saw Chris.

“Hey, I’m sorry for what happened” he said looking at me pleadingly.

“Never mind that” I replied. I became conscious when he keeps on staring at me as if wanting to say something. A moment later he said,

“You know I realized the reason of your tears at the ball Ro. But for what it’s worth, there are more guys much deserving than him you’re beautiful and smart. There are far off better men than Sydrian” I knew he’ll figure it out.

“Gee, thanks” That felt good, for the first time in my miserable days, Chris made me smile truthfully.