The unsuccessful dance

VI

          We travelled early in the morning together with Abe’s guardian, Eddie and Rob (royal guardian). We came to Madam Victoria couture and choose our gown. I fitted more than five times until I found something that pass my standard although Chris keep on saying that it looks good for me in every gown I fit. In the end Mion and Chris pick up their tuxedo as well as Lian and I pick ours. At the night of the ball, we descend on the staircase Mion and Ella Badica, Sydrian and Lian, me and Chris.  I heard gasped of admiration from the crowd seeing as Chris and I look like a perfect match even our parents say so. We were both wearing clothes that have a shade of pale yellow. I wore a tube top balloon gown covered with crystal and diamonds. My height was levelled on his shoulders giving us a much appeal to the both of us. I gazed at the open-mouthed crowd and smile.

“She was breath-taking” Someone said.

“You look gorgeous and stunning Ro” Chris whispered.

“Shut up!” I choose Chris because he’s one of my best friends and I thought it will be a lot safer and hassle free. The soft mellow music was in the air. I saw Sydrian and Lian dance sweetly on the dance floor.

“C’mon let’s dance” he said, tugging my hand. I obliged. As we dance in the center he put his hand around my waist and I place my arms on his shoulders. Jealousy filled me when Lian and Sydrian were so sweet that it breaks my heart. I buried my head on his chest as I felt my tears slide from my eyes. He lifts my head and brushed my tears away.

“Why are you crying?” he asked gently. I didn’t trust myself to speak. I shake my head and walk out. People were intrigue when I hastily left the dance floor and Chris raced behind me. They figured that we probably had a quarrel. I burst in my room, slumped my body on the bed and weep. I heard a gentle knock followed by

“Ro, are you okay?” I heard the door click and felt Chris sat on my bed.

“You’re not supposed to be here” he didn’t listen and curled up beside me. He gripped by shoulders and hug me saying nothing but pure understanding.

“I’m willing to listen when you’re ready, Ro” he said rubbing my back. The door rip open and my father emerged jaws clench, face looking so dangerous. We scrambled out of bed and threw myself between Chris and my dad.

“Dad, it’s not what you think!”

“What should I think Ro? You’re in a awkward position---“ he look down at me. “Have you been crying?” I felt his anger elevate. “What did you do to my daughter?!” he roared.

“Dad, I was just upset and he’s here to comfort me” In the end my dad tugged Chris out of the room. I’m pretty sure he understood. I sighed and pulled by a drowsy sleep.