Chapter 7 - The Hedgerows

Thursday June 8th, 1944

2 days later, near Periers, the Hedgerows

"We can barely get the Sherman's through the hedges sir, it's too dense and narrow for them to effectively maneuver let alone turn." Someone said, making his way over to report to the Captain that was overseeing his area of command.

Hearing the news, the Captain sighed and closed his eyes momentarily with frustration. Then when a second had passed, he opened his eyes and spoke "Alright then, we got no choice but to push ahead without armor support. Radio command and get them updated about the situation, then start your push in Lieutenant."

"Yes, sir will do." The Lieutenant replied before he turned, moving off to carry out the given orders.

After he had notified the radio operator to pass the message along, the LT moved over to the assembled platoon that form up part of the company. They were just standing about, waiting for the order to advance into the hedgerows.

"Ok everyone, we're pushing into the hedgerows without armor support, however we're not completely alone... After all there's only certain places that they can't reach, so we're completely not separated, now then let's get going!" The LT yelled, ordering the men to begin their push in.

Once the advance into the vegetation began, it was becoming more and more noticeable the further these infantrymen went in.

It was quiet, a maddening silence where there were no ambience of birds or any animal in the area. A deafening quietness were the only sounds you could hear are the steps of your own foot and the ringing in your ears.

"Keep your heads on a swivel everyone, stay sharp." Someone whispered as a lot of the men are beginning to become anxious from this silence.

As they advanced, the almost complete silence was causing an eerie feeling to fill everyone up, visibility was dropping rapidly as the vegetation became more dense and wild as well.

Half a hour passed by with a slow, cautious advance full of anxiety and silent tension before finally, the 1st Sargent of the front scouting squad held his hand up in a closed first. And everyone stopped, taking a kneel or crouching down to make their profiles smaller.

This squad was half a mile ahead of the main company behind them, they're part of the scouting teams after all with multiple others that are ahead of the main force.

A lifetime had passed, or so it had felt by everyone here before the Sargent held up his two fingers and flicked his wrist forward twice.

Everyone began to move again, but their short relief was quickly lived, there was a spine numbing click as a mine got stepped on and immediately, everyone stood frozen in fear.

"Nobody move until we find out who stepped on that mine!" 1st Sarge said, spinning around as he spoke since he couldn't feel it under his boot.

"Oh god... Sarge, it's me! I can feel it under my boot!" A Private called out, his voice cracking as he watched everyone step away from him like he was some kind of vile disease.

"Set up a perimeter, I want a tight 360 security set up." A corporal said calmly, it was important not to incite panic, especially for the private standing on top of the pressure mine.

Doing as told, his fire team moved into action and everyone formed up as told.
**
40 yards away.

Baron was lying on his stomach in a ghillie suit he earned, and as he laid where he was, he looked more like a bush than a man. And to maximize his camouflage, he has his umbrella opened and in front of him.