A Royal Visit

Caleth was feeling rather out of sorts as he and his guard rode through the sleepy village. At least, he figured it would be sleepy on an ordinary day, but today various people lined the streets and peered from the doorways at the royal procession with what seemed to Caleth expressions of reverence mixed with suspicion and perhaps even a little hostility.

It occurred to him that he felt very far from the royal court and its thrum of familiar activity and people, and at once he felt a flash of irritation for being sent on such a mission. Now that he was here, it seemed awfully ridiculous that the ducal family was really in danger in their remote corner of the land, and he wanted nothing more than to pass on the message and go back home to more pressing matters.

And, perhaps, to see the girl, his inner voice reminded him. He had little time to reflect on this reminder, however, as right then he and his riders came upon the grand stone archway marking the entrance to Illyria Manor. With a sigh, he urged his horse and his men forward.

*****

Leia did not know quite what to make of the idea that she was going to see Caleth again. It had been so many years, after all since she saw virtually anyone outside of the village, besides family here and there, and she wasn’t very sure how she should act around members of the royal family, especially ones whose toys she combusted as a child. She wasn’t sure if he would even remember her, or what he would look like anymore.

And what could he possibly want with her family now, of all times? She set her jaw. She may not know the truth behind why her family retreated from the world, but she knew that she needed to protect them from any potential threats, even royal ones. She also knew that she possessed considerable charm, which she had often used to slide her way out of punishments. She smiled to herself – she was going to get her answers as soon as that prince arrived.

 She was suddenly jostled out of her reverie by what appeared to be a walking pile of blankets. News of the imminent royal arrival had sent the household into a flurry of activity. Gwyneth moved quickly from room to room, setting servants to various tasks to make their home presentable. Custom dictated that the homes of the nobility should always be prepared for a royal visit, since they were duty bound to offer hospitality to the monarchs, but since the Illyria family had all but vanished off the court radar, they had become somewhat lax in their regard for that particular rule.

Now, however, it could mean trouble, for when a royal convoy showed up after years of disconnect, it was not the time to be unprepared for them. Leia and Rosai hurried after their mother, helping gather things carelessly strewn about and gathering linens for the maids to make up the guest rooms, while Elias and their father, Darius, ventured outside to ready the stables and greet the convoy when they arrived. Leia was just helping her maid, Brisia, tuck a luxurious quilt over an enormous, four poster guest bed, when her mother appeared at the doorway looking thoughtful.

“Leia, darling, leave the quilt please. Brisia can handle it. There’s something rather important I need you to look after now.” When Leia raised a questioning eyebrow, Gwyneth continued. “In the kitchen, there’s a large basket, filled with food and salves. Rohad and Lianor mentioned that old Elsabeth is looking rather ill and that although she refuses to ask for it, she needs help. We’re the closest people to her, and you know how she’s all alone out in the forest, so I thought you could take the basket to her and see how she’s doing. She is awfully fond of you, after all. Could you please look after her right away? I know you can handle yourself, but take Nyx and Eos along as well for my peace of mind. They’d love a good run anyway.” After finishing her speech rather fast, Gwyneth gave a quick nod, and turned on her heel, as if the conversation was finished right there. Which, of course, it was certainly not.