Chapter 3: Pedal to the Metal

Ten minutes had passed since we arrived to the house Bekah lived. The front door was open wide when we had pulled into the drive way, Chase automatically raced out of the truck. I had listened to his command and stayed, waiting for the two to come out.

Bekah and Chase had been in an on and off relationship since Chase's junior year, needless to say he was more in love than she was, which was my problem with her, she took advantage of a lot of people. Even as I sat in the truck, all I could think was how much I felt we should have just kept driving. But it had been long enough for me, I needed to check things out.

I slid out of the truck pulling out the keys and closing the door, before heading into the house.

"Chase?" I pushed the door a bit more open, entering what could only be described as a hellhole. The furniture was flipped over, the sliding door to the back porch open with broken blinds dangling from one end, bloody hands in every other spot of surface area, drops of blood stained into the white carpet, Chase had actually helped install last spring.

"Up here, Micah..." Chase's voice echoed through the empty downstairs. I fallowed his voice up the stairs, finding him sitting on the floor of Bekah's Bedroom huddled around what was either a dead Bekah, or an extremely frightened Bekah.

I dropped to my knees and crawled to Chase.

"Is she okay?" I could see her chest drop and rise as she breathed, she was clearly still alive.

"I think so, just shook up...go sit over there." He motioned to a chair infront of a vanity. I nodded and fallowed, keeping my focus on the two.

Bekah had her hands clenched onto Chase's hoodie, her knuckles turning white at the strain she was putting. The look in Chase's bright eyes said it all to me, and I could tell he was worried about Bekah.

" Come with us, we're leaving tonight." He lifted her head with his hands wiping tears from her eyes. She said nothing, but sat up and nodded, sniffling as she stared around her room.

"I'll get some stuff together." She let out a deep sigh before retrieving a bag from her closet, me and Chase exchanged looks as she packed.

"Have you heard any news of what's going on or help houses?" Bekah asked throwing her pack over her shoulder.

We both shook our heads. " No nothing yet, we know as much as you do..." Chase stood and walked over to her, grabbing her hand.

"We need to head out, night still has some time, so we need to find a safe house for atleast tonight." I watched as he drew cirlces into the side of her thumb with his.

"Let's go, then..." Bekah gave a slight smile, wiping her eyes, before letting go of Chase's hand.

Bekah waited for me to go ahead of her, down the stairs and out of the house, Chase behind the two of us.

I pulled out the keys and buckled up in the drivers seat, starting the truck as Chase helped Bekah settle her things in the backseat, where she stayed. Chase took my place in the passenger seat.

"Let's head into town." Chase said unsteadily, his eyes watching Bekah in the rearview mirror.

"Sounds good." I adjusted the mirror, taking Bekah out of view." Let's see how things are there."

"Pedal to the Metal, baby!" I chuckled slightly before speeding out of the drive and down the road.