Chapter Two: Starting Off

As our house came into view, both of our foot steps became nearly inaudible. My hands balled into fists, freezing in fear. Chase looked over at me, no sign of fear or nervousness could be read in his face, only determination. He me motioned me over to him his hand before entering.

"I have a strong feeling they're still in there, with that in mind, get in, grab only what you absolutely need, and come straight back out and I'll meet you in the truck. The keys are right by the front door on the coffee table, grab them first. I'll gather my own things and other essentials." He placed his hands on my shoulders looking right into my eyes.

"Got it?" He asked directly.

I had never thought so much of my brother as I did now,he seemed very sure everything would be okay, and easy.

I nodded in response," Yeah."

Chase turned around and made his way to the porch before my hand could grab his shirt to get his attention.

"Chase!- what do I do if they are in there and something happens?" I whispered fallowing behind him.

"Micah, stop...all your doing now is psyching yourself out.If something funky starts up the glock is up in my top dresser drawer and you have your pocket knife, improvise if you must. Now come on."

I braced myself for disaster, as Chase turned the door knob and walked through the front door. We entered to find the living room as if nothing had ever happened. The TV was left on, a glass of water rested on a lamp stand. My eyes wondered around to the coffee table, focusing on the truck keys. Right in my reach, I grabbed them fast and clenched them tight to keep them from jingling.

Chase had dissapeared into the kitchen area, where everything had taken place only an hour before. I went upstairs as he had instructed, still walking with caution. Thank God the house was carpeted!

My room was the first on the left, thankfully the door was open and the light was turned on. I walked in and did a quick scan of the closet and under the bed.

Clear.

I found my dark green back pack from school, and dumped the contents out on my bed before placekng two pairs of socks, tennis shoes and another set of jeans and a t shirt, and tank top, before looking for anything else useful. My first find was my Swiss Army pocket knife, and a roll of duck tape, before I decided I'd go ahead and pack for Chase.

I tip toed to the bedroom at the very end of the small hallway, stumped to find the door cracked open with the main light off, a dim light could be seen from his lamp. I pushed the door open lightly, leaving a creaking sound to send a shiver down my spine.

"Chase?" I whispered into the room, only half expecting to get a reply. I was sure I could still hear him downstairs. I shrugged my shoulders and continued to his dresser, searching for some clothes that seemed to best for the situation, coming across jeans, and grey wife beater, along with a t shirt. He was wearing his only pair of tennis shoes and black pull over hoodie at the moment, so some things didn't need to be packed.

I was looking for a second pair of socks, when the glock came into my view. I handled it with care, knowing Chase he probably kept it loaded. Slipping it into his bag, I took a glance around the room double checking before making my way into the hall with both bags.

At the top of the stairs a sudden crash downstairs sent my heart for a joy ride. I could hear Chase swearing downstairs before I realized what was happening, we weren't alone after all.

"MICAH!!!- MICAH GET DOWN HERE NOW!!!" Chase's voice still managed to sound stable, no trace of panic, which scared me more. Obediently, I ran down the stairs with the bags on my back to find Chase standing over the body of our inhuman father, parts of a lamp in hand, small blood splatters covered his hands and cut off shorts.

His blue eyes looked up at me," You got everything?"

Words suddenly became harder to use. "Uh. . .y-y-yeah... Both yours and mine, got the pistol, the knife and keys as well.

Chase nodded,"Good... Let's go ahead and head out, I'd hate to run into mom... Where ever the heck she is...Let's go Micah."

I automatically fallowed his lead to the truck, tossing the keys to him before hopping into the passenger side. Chase started up the old Ford and began backing out of the drive.

THUMP. The sound was blunt and heavy. I closed my eyes, 'This isnt happening', was all that could run through my thoughts.

Chased hopped put of the car and walked to the back, I heard him let out a swear before he hurried back and continued backing out, allowing another THUMP.

I looked over to him with a questioning look.

"Just don't ask..." Chase replied keeping his eyes dead center on the road.

My stomach began doing flips again, I bit my lip hard and laid my head back abit.

"Now what?" I asked.

Silence was heard for a moment before he looked at me. "We need to find a place for the night, or others... We are going to Bekah's, see if she's alright."

I tensed a bit at the thought of Bekah, but under the circumstances, I kept quiet, and just nodded in reply.