Chapter 1: The coming

Inhale.... Exahale..... Inhale....Exhale...

I had no time to think, only to do. Twigs and dry grass crunched beneath my feet as I sprinted across my back yard, taking a leap across the back fence.

My Goal at the Moment? Get as far away as possible, but more importantly stay alive.

The night air gave everything an even more unsettling atmosphere than the whole situation itself. I was being chased from my own home by my own blood.

For now, it was only my older brother, Chase, a stocky, muscular, nineteen year old,varsity foot ball player, that was the only uninfected member of my family. He was much faster than I was, but trailed about five feet behond mw watching out for me, like the big brother I had always known him to be. The two of us kept running, passing one house and then another until we had made it to the enterance of the neighborhood.

We took a moment to breath, I hunched over a bit, a slight feeling of nausea overwhelming me.

"You alright there, Micah?" Chase asked, making his way to my side.

Before I could answer my body heaved up every little thing I had consumed through out out the day.

I could feel Chase's hot hands on the back my neck as he pulled my long red hair out of the way as puke found it's way out.

"Just fabulous..." I sarcastically remarked, after hacking up a bit. I used the back of my hand to wipe the corners around my mouth clean.

"What the heck was that, back there?" My eyes focused to Chase, as I looked up to him, my nervous system spazzing out. I watched as he shook his head.

"I have no freaken clue...they were all just fine and then BAM!... Mom and Dad saw us as dinner item." His hands went to the top of his head.

"What ever they've become, we've got to leave Micah... tonight."

The words sunk deep in my gut, I could tell he knew what I was thinking, but I also knew he was right.

"...We're going back to the house aren't we?" I bit my lip, dreading the obvious answer.

He looked down, rubbing the back of his head, "Yeah...We can get some basic things we will need, and my truck, from there we scavenge."

I took a deep breath in before letting a great sigh out.

"Let's get it over with, Chase." I turned around in the direction of the house. "Better to get over and done with."