Too Cold Outside

T O O   C O L D   O U T S I D E
Jack Frost's Point of View

[Trigger Warning: Mentions of Suicide and Death]

❅❅❅❅❅

I knew she was hurting. I could see it in her eyes. That night on a marvelous ice palace that stood atop the mountains, close enough to touch the northern lights.

And I knew I could never take away the pain. No matter what I told her, nothing will change. The people were afraid of their own queen. In fact, she was afraid of herself too. Reassuring words will never heal her. It wouldn't do a thing.

She didn't know she wasn't alone. She didn't know someone else had this curse like she did. I could see in her eyes that more than ever, she felt like she was not normal. A monster, that's what she thought of herself.

And I guess, as much as I wanted to tell her that wasn't true, nothing will make her believe that she had the right to feel free. Had the right to be queen and still have these powers. Had the right to have a family.

Had a right to be happy.

I let out a breath, leaning forward against the railings like she did. Wanting so bad to make her okay. To make her stop crying. To do something for her to be happy, even if it would last just one second.

But she did not see me.

Not that I expected her to. I was nothing but a spirit after all. Nothing but a stupid norse myth. Nothing but a dead boy who got reborn and turned into this winter guardian of some sorts.

I turned to look at the moon, glowing bright, its light cascading down on us both. Somehow, it was calming. It's glow was somewhat reassuring. As if the heavenly body would answer me, I began talking. "Man in the moon, why? Why do you do this to her? Don't you think it's unfair? She has a kingdom to rule, a sister who's gravely confused. And yet, you don't care, do you?"

It continued to glow a bright light, proving to me that the man in the moon didn't actually care at all. Enraged, I wanted to do something. But instead, I sighed, before letting it go.

What did talking to air do to fix anything, anyway?

I turned my back, deciding it was a better view. The castle she'd magically created stared at me and something in my chest ached, knowing that she thinks her powers were some sort of plague. But how could a plague create something so beautifully crafted? I would never know.

Suddenly, I heard her whispering something that sounded like a spell. I cocked my eyebrows in question and leaned in closer to understand. But what she was saying was definitely not a spell. In fact, it was worse.

"Conceal, don't feel. Conceal, don't f-feel." She breathed, clutching the railings of her palace tight that her knuckles had turned white.

I ran a hand through my hair. How do you take this pain away? How do you show someone so broken that everything will be okay? The answer should've been staring back at me by now, but I was still pretty lost.

If shutting herself out was her solution to this, then maybe I should just let her be. So I decided to stop bothering. To stop trying so hard in finding a way to end her misery. Instead, I decided to just linger next to her for a moment, to get lost in my own thoughts like she did.