Chapter 7

Harry bit his lip nervously. I felt pretty bad, I mean, I just completely shut him down.

Not like I really wanted to.

I was just preventing the heartbreak that I felt would be just around the corner.

I squeezed his hands. The guilt was overwhelming. I really did like Harry, I liked him a lot, but I mean, we lived really different lives, and I didn't think I could live with his lifestyle. He was famous, and loved by every girl in every country on this planet. There was surely someone who could easily take my place.

Harry let go of my hands and stood up. "I should go, the guys-"

"yeah."

"yeah."

There was that silence.

His eyes searched mine, as if looking inside, trying to see if I actually was just leading him on this whole time. It felt like he was waiting for me to stop him, say yes, kiss him again, never let go of him.

But I didn't.

"Okay, I'll see you around then." He said, stopping in the doorway.

"Text me later." I said, meekly, feeling so bad.

"Yeah. Bye Alice."

And he walked out.

I walked over to the couch and curled up, cocooned in the blanket. I picked up the plastic bag from where he left it on the ground, and looked through the things he brought for me.

I took a dosage of the medicine, which made me begin to get drowsy, and I was sure I'd fall asleep really soon.

There was also chocolate chip cookies and hot cocoa powder. Aw.

I'm sure he didn't actually have to go at that moment, but he felt awkward and upset so he didn't want to spend any longer at my place. I mean, I would've left.

Fell back on the couch and pulled the blanket over my head, closing my eyes, drifting off into sleep, wanting to escape all of my problems.

It was one of those long, heavy, dreamless sleeps. Where you're just too tired to have any sort of thought.

************************************************************************************************************

I woke up to a banging on the door. I jumped up, alarmed. I silently approached the door, walking on tiptoe, and looked through the peephole.

I flung the door open. "Niall Horan! You scared the absolute shit out of me!" I shouted, and fell into him, giving him a friendly hug.

"Sorry" he said, his thick Irish accent so foreign to me now. "Hey, you-"

"Lost my accent? Yeah, I guess. These Americans really get to you I guess."

"Heard you were sick eh?" He asked, as we walked into the entryway of my apartment.

"Yeah, I've been stressed and it's taken a real toll on me."

"How do you like Boston?"

"I love it. Not like I've gotten to see much, but it's wonderful."

"Met anyone?"

"No? What kind of question is that?"

"No guys eh?" He gave a mischievous grin.

"Um... Well... Not really... Entirely... Exactly... Not at the moment?" I incoherently stumbled through my words.

"Harry said you turned him down, right off the bat."