Chapter 6: Cecilia

A week later I'm off of all my meds and all healed up except for the cut on my elbow. It required stitches and means I've had to walk around with my arm in a sling to ensure it heals properly. Di lost her mind when Harry and I came into the apartment from the hospital that night, I guess I looked worse than I thought. I managed to change into my pajamas - without Harry's help although he offered it repeatedly - and crawled into bed listening to him and Di in the next room as they caught up and, more importantly, discussed me. They spoke in hushed tones but of course I heard. I got out of bed and leaned my forehead against the heavy wooden door as they talked.

"Should you even be around her, Harry?"

"Why not? She seems like she came out okay all things considered...Right?"

"Yeah now, in this minute, but you have no idea how its been since she came home!"

"It wasn't my fault in the first place, Diane!"

"Lower your voice! I know that."

"Do you?"

"Yes I do...I know I didn't believe it before and you don't have to rub it in, but I came around so give me a little credit. It was a lot to handle for me too and no one seems to care about that."

I heard her sigh very deeply and the slight ruffle of their clothes as Harry pulled her in for a hug; a smile crossed my face at the thought of my beautiful and pristine Princess Di in Harry's heavily tattooed arms.

"I know that, but Cilly's the one who got locked away for telling the truth, we all have to push our pain to the side and consider that."

"She's my baby sister, I let all these things happen because I'm so selfish. She had to have expected me to know! It was obvious what he was doing to her, we just never bothered to look."

"No it wasn't, Di. He made sure to cover it up." Harry had the decency to keep Di clueless to the fact that she was the reason Peter didn't have to worry about me saying a word. I sighed in relief and I'll be grateful to him forever. "And even if he hadn't it wasn't your job to know, you were a kid too."

"I'm sorry I was so short with you earlier." I heard her step away from him and sniffle. Her voice went back to its usual cordial and polite tone, her moment of vulnerability was over. "Thank you for being with her today."

"It was fate, I really didn't even have a reason to be on that street; my shops on the other side, in the opposite direction. But I'm glad I was."

"So am I. Do you want to stay and have something to eat?"

"No, I better go, actually. I have to meet with my partner to go over a few things about the shop." They stop speaking for a moment. "That's my number, okay. Call me if she needs anything. I snuck it into her phone, but I know she won't call, so if you think she needs me, you call me okay?"

Di didn't respond verbally but I'm sure she nodded. I rested my head against the door thinking I could never figure this guy out as long as I live. He is like a Disney prince, trapped in a tatted up, rockstar scoundrel's body?

It's really fucking confusing, to be honest.

My ears perked up and my head lifted as I heard his footsteps heading  for the door.

"Aren't you going to say goodnight to her?"

I tiptoed to my bed, knowing he wouldn't pass up the opportunity to come into my room, and quietly slid under the sheets as his knock sounded at the door.

"Come in."

I mumbled, pretending to be half asleep as I sat up carefully. He opened the door and crossed the room quickly and quietly on those long spindly legs.