Chapter 3: Cecilia

Kick has a two bedroom place all to herself and her cat. Her parents pay her rent and do so happily so she can excel at NYU without living in their 'overly debauched' campus dorms. Because a girl with her own apartment in the city can't find debauchery? Thats some logic, I guess.

In reality she lives like Carrie Bradshaw,  searching for Mr. Right in all the Mr. Wrongs. I guess I'd be doing the same thing if I wasn't so damaged, but I can't exactly imagine it as I lay on the bed in her second bedroom and relax for the first time today. I finally feel free enough to let my fatigue overtake me and before I know it I'm asleep.

Whispers in the living room wake me up. I sit up straight and squint my eyes in the now dark room.

"I know, I had no idea she'd be here, but I think she had a rough day. I know but, she's exhausted so I have to let her sleep." She sounds apologetic and slightly annoyed. "I'll just see you tomorrow, okay? I don't know when but tomorrow at some point. Yes I promise! I said I promise! Okay...bye."

The last thing I want to do is cost Kick a hook-up; whoever was on the phone seemed pretty keen to see her. Far be it from me to stand in the way of true lust.

"Francesca My Love!" I yell into the dark as her feet shuffle past the bedroom door. She stops and opens it, switching on the light with a smile on her face. "Call him back and tell him to come over."

Her mouth drops open, the color falls out of her face.

I expected her to laugh.

I sit up and stare at her, concerned by her reaction. She's a little too surprised that I heard.

"I...I..."

"What's wrong?"

She takes a deep breath and recovers from her moment of shock. Her nervous and totally forced laugh sets alarm bells ringing in my mind.

Kick is about to lie to me.

"Nothing! I just can't believe you heard that! I was like two rooms away and speaking really quietly."

"No; you were whispering actually." I say with a frown. I don't like the deception; I don't like doubting someone I trust. "Call him back. Tell him to come...I don't care if you get off while I'm here, but I'm leaving any way."

I grab my shoes as I sit at the foot of the bed and pull them on.

"Why? Don't go! You came in and went straight to bed; we didn't have a chance to talk or anything!" As I walk to the door and out into the hall she follows and begs me the whole way. Her words fall on deaf ears; I need to leave and quiet my suspicions."You must be hungry, I cooked spaghetti. Come on Ce. Please."

It's such a simple word, but it makes me stop and rethink leaving.

Maybe I'm overreacting...maybe I'm just a softy because her 'please' pulls at my heart and weakens my resolve to go.

"You'd rather eat spaghetti with me than have a good fuck?"

I raise my eyebrows at her, genuinely concerned for her sanity if that is the case. She blushes at my language, but smiles sweetly.

"CeCe of course I want you to stay. I miss you."

I lower my eyes from her face; I can't shake the feeling of uneasiness at her reaction to the fact that I heard her conversation. But that could just be her trying to protect me: she's been dating this kid named Zayn off and on for a while and she thinks that I don't like him but I do; he's sweet and artistic. He's also quiet and slightly intimidating, like me; I can tell he has a past too.

Kick is obviously crazy about him -although she won't admit it- and I can understand why she might not want me here. It's not impossible to think that I could scare him off.  So I decide to be reasonable, to ignore my suspicions, since now I feel like I overreacted and was on the verge of jumping to the wrong conclusion.