Chapter 5: Longer Talk

We were walking towards the train station. I kept on looking at my watch.  

At this rate... I really won’t be able to bake cookies.

Papa, I’m sorry.

I’ll give you a head massage instead.

I didn’t notice that Rin was talking to me. I heard him sighed so I looked at him. “You are so --- in your thoughts...”

I should say sorry right?

                        “..................I’m sorry.....”

He was just looking at me... he suddenly laughed.

Am I a clown or something? I guess he noticed my puzzled face.

“I’m... sorry, I just though that.. you won’t talk until we reach the train station,” he smiled.

This guy... always smile.

We were both standing inside the train. Its pretty cramped inside. The intoxicating smell of the sweat fills the air-conditioned room. I just looked outside. The sun is setting. My schedule of baking is already over.

                        “I never see you in school” I heard him say.

                        “...................................I do not stay long in school...”

He smiled again. “I see, so you’re a home buddy...”

“I... prepare dinner for my parents who are busy at work... Papa... always wants to have cookies after...”

He looked at me.

“So that’s why you were looking frequently at the time a while ago,”

No. He noticed me.

”I hope you still have time to prepare,” he smiled.

His frequent smiles creeps me out.

But... it looks beautiful to me.

Like Papa... and Mama’s smiles.         

I stopped at the convenience store. “Are.. you gonna buy something?”Rin asked me and stopped as well.

I nodded and went inside.

He followed me. I ignored him and went to buy a chocolate bar.

This is my perfect dessert.

A Kit-Kat bar.        

I heard him smirk. I looked at him, puzzled. He get a bar of Kit-Kat too.

We went to the counter and paid for it. I was wondering. Why did he also get a Kita-Kat? Is this his favorite too?

We left and he opened the Kit-Kat already and started to eat it. “Aren’t you going to eat yours?”he asked me.

I shook my head from left to right.

           “I... eat this before brushing my teeth, I put this in the freezer for two hours.”

             “Wow...Will.. that makes it taste better?”

I nodded again and kept the Kit-Kat in my bag.

            “Well, I’d try that too,” he smiled and put the half in his pocket.

I looked at him again. I wonder why is this guy is always smiling?

We reached our gate. I stopped. “Well, I guess this is your house,” he muttered and looked at our house. I nodded. I can say it, just like how I tell Mama and Papa.

            “Tha...”

            “.....eh?”

I can say it right. Right? I can definitely say it.

            “thank you,”

He turned his back on me.

Did.... I say something bad?

Was I wrong to thank this guy?

“Well... uh... You’re welcome, see you at school tomorrow,  b.. bye!”he stammered and ran without looking.

I think.... he’s weird....

Like me.

I ran inside the house and put the Kit-Kat on the freezer and hurriedly wear my apron and started to prepare.“Mama.... sorry I was late.. I’ll just make pancakes for Papa!”