Chapter 1: First Talk

I’m used to being unnoticeable by many.

Since when? Well....

Ah... I now remember... back in elementary.

Flashback.

I was in my usual uniform.

I had a friend. He was the only one who talks to me. Even when everyone tells him that I’m weird for just using two words. Okay. Yeah.

                        “Miki! You want to play Ball?”

                        “.....................Okay.......”

And so we played most of the time. I smiled when he wasn’t able to toss back the ball that I threw on him.

                        “Miki, I’m tired, let’s rest...“

                        “.............okay.....”

Our conversation went like that everyday. I don’t know why he can stand my presence. When everyone walked out just because I could not give them a two or more words reply.

                        “Ne, Miki?”

                        “......Yeah?”

He looked at me closely. My bangs hid my eyes perfectly. “Don’t you know other words aside from okay and yeah?” I looked at him. He was asking me a very difficult question. How should I answer? I breathe deeply.

                        “...........I....do,”

 He beamed with a smile. “Finally! What other words do you know? Will you say it? I’m dying to hear ‘em!” Why... is he so excited... about hearing me speak?

I paused.

If I speak other words, he would just say I’m weird. He was waiting. And mother told me never to make other people wait for you.

                        “...............”

There was a long pause.

                      “coo....kies..”

Now, he would really say I’m weird. I looked down. Why did I say cookies? I could have said hello, or hi. It would have been a better outcome.

“Cookies? Wow.. you’re hungry? Let’s eat!”he said and pulled me out of the sandbox. I just looked at his hand. He was very kind to me. His warm smiles and friendly laughs occupied my childhood memories.

                    What was his name again?