Chapter 10 - I'm Misunderstood

"I'm going to have to suspend you both. I'll be honest; you are lucky you're not getting expelled, MIss DeTress," said Mr. Murphy, the principal. He made me think of a hawk with his beady eyes and sharp, hooked nose. "You can go home for three days. Kate, you may go." 

I looked over at Ash, but he was staring at his palms with his hands in his lap. 

" 'Kay," I mumbled, and walked out. 

As soon as I left the office, I heard a group of girls whispering just a few feet away. At first, I was confused. School had already commenced. They would've had to ditch class. When I looked at them, they giggled and turned away from me.

Do you really think I'm that stupid? God, I should've known this school was a mistake! I'm so stupid! How is this school any different from any of my old ones? I'm so pathetic and naive! This is all my fault! I should've known something would go wrong. I should've just kept to myself. Imagine what Uncle Jack and Aunt Michelle think. No doubt they've gotten the news and called Mom and Dad. 

"What even the point of school when it just beats down kids like me?" I growled to myself. 

"Did you girls ditch just to listen to Kate? Kate, you should be flattered. They left class just for you!" I jumped at the sound of Roger's voice. He was beaming down at me, and girls were glaring at him for what was probably the first time in his life. 

At this point, I had convinced myself that the best way to be left alone and stay out of trouble and gossip would be to not talk to anyone. Ever. So, I kept walking towards the girls' dorm building, and as much as it hurt, I forced myself to ignore Roger calling my name. 

"Kate?" Roger jogged up to my side. 

"Go away," I snarled. 

Roger side stepped in front of me, and I ran straight into his hard chest with an "Oof!"

"You know if you're alone, you're an easier target," he said. 

"And I'm an even easier target with fakes," I snapped, and swerved around him. 

Roger followed. "Where's your proof that I'm fake?"

"You date ten girls a week. Is that not enough?" I sneered. "You never take anything serious. You, Kellan, and Ash are amazing liars." 

"Liars? What have we lied about?" He came off as appalled. 

"Have you seen Ash when he's not around you and Kellan?" I scoffed. 

"Uhhh, can't say that I have." 

"He's Mr. Cool not Mr. Grumpy! How are you any different?" I yelled.

"I don't know," Roger said as we reached the girls' dorm building. I walked in, and he followed. "Why don't you tell me so I know." 

"Stop-get out! This is the girls' building," I demanded.

"You go in the boys' building," he pointed out, then he grabbed my shoulders and whirled me around so fast my head spun. "So, tell me: How are you any different from me? How am I-not Ash-fake? When have I lied to you-not Ash?" 

I hesitated. Then thought. And finally gave up. I didn't answer so I turned and stalked towards the stairs. 

Roger darted in front of me. With his hands on the doorway frame, he took up the entire entryway. "If you don't listen to others, how do you expect others to listen to you?" 

Silence. 

"Kate, don't switch schools again," Roger insisted. 

I whipped my head up in horror and took a step back. "How do you know that?"