Chapter 15 - I Couldn't Imagine Being In His Shoes.

Chapter 15 - I Couldn't Imagine Being In His Shoes.

During first period, the overhead speaker buzzed on and the entire school heard the dean's voice: "Miss Kathleen DeTrees and Mr. Ash Diabolus to the front office. Kathleen DeTress and Ash Diabolus  please, come to  my office." 

I knew this was coming. I had't slept all night and it wasn't until an hour before school started that my mind finally left the events of last night and began to prepare the future. 

The teacher nodded at me, and Ash and I were excused from class. I found the building's tile floor awfully interesting. Ash walked on one side of the hall while I walked on the other. When we were exiting, he politely held open the door. Only to have second thoughts, pull it shut, and step in front of both doors. 

My eyes flickered up at him but returned to the grimy ground the next moment. I didn't know what to say. This I had not prepared myself for. 

"We need to make up a story that matches," Ash said. "We can't tell the truth."

"W-why not?" My voice was thick and strained as if I was about to cry. 

Suddenly, Ash gripped my shoulders. "I killed someone. Sure, it's easy for the prince of Evil and what not to just kill another demon. Is that what you think?" 

"No," I whimper. "I-I just..." I burst into tears all over again, soaking his shirt all over again, his arms around me all over again. A few minutes later, I retreated and pulled myself together. I began to wipe my face as I said, "If we don't hurry, they'll wonder what's happened to us." 

"You're right," he said. "So follow my lead." 

~

Ash and I sat silently in Mr. Murphy's office. It wasn't the first time. 

"I hope this-you being here, I mean-I hope it won't become a regular thing," the dean said. "So, an employee allowed the both of you to check out past the time you allowed off campus. Then you came back looking like, well to put it bluntly, looking as if you'd been running through the woods. Would either of you care to explain?" 

"We were, uh..." Ash began, his brow furrowed. "We were just being teenagers, Mr. Murphy." 

"Miss DeTress?" Mr. Murphy turned to me. "Care to elaborate on 'just being teenagers'?" 

"It was't her fault!" Ash blurted out, leaning forward in his chair. My head whipped up in surprise, and I stared at him wide-eyed. "Don't punish her for something that's my fault." 

"And what is your fault, Mr. Diabolus?" Mr. Murphy demanded. 

I stared at Ash in wonder and horror. What's his excuse? Why'd he take the blame entirely? I was the one who ran out in the first place. 

"Do you really want all the little details?" Ash asked Mr. Murphy, and I froze. The dean studied Ash while I ground my teeth and clenched the chair's arms. Ash gave him a look that said, 'Do you really? Really? You might want to re-think this one.'

I turned red with abashment and anger. I wanted to scream and to pound my fist into Ash's devilishly perfect face. 

I'm sure I wouldn't have been so mad if I had lost my virginity already or if I was a slut. But I was sixteen and not slutty. I didn't plan on loosing anything until college. Call me a goody-two-shoes, but I'm not going to care. I made up my mind, and I was sticking to it. So with Ash stirring up the lie he was, you could say I was feeling many unpleasant feeling all at once. 

"Ash, please, step outside for a moment," said Mr. Murphy sternly. "I'd like to talk to Kathleen alone for a moment." 

" 'Kay," Ash murmured, and he headed for the door. But not without raising his eyebrows at me. He obviously thought he was a genius with the lie.