chapter 14

Aiden

I wake up dazed and confused probably from a weird dream. I look to my left and there's a girl sleeping there. I jolt.

How the hell did she get in here? Wait, who the hell is she?

I slide off my bed trying to not wake her up. She looks kind of familiar, but not enough for me to have slept with her and not remember it. Wait. All our clothes are on. No alcohol in the room. I don't feel a hangover. I'm sober. I don't remember her because this is the first time I'm seeing her. Her breathing isn't so loud anymore and I can see a smile forming on her face.

Is this a prank? I poke the girl's arm. "Hello?" Her smile grows, then I wait for a moment. She then starts laughing loudly, pointing to my face. Her amusement is contagious. 

"ALRIGHT. ALRIGHT," she manages to say between laughs. "Ron set me up for this. I'm his cousin."

" Does thay mean you're mine too?"

"No, I'm from his mother's side. You're from his father's. I flew in last night. I'm supposed to spend a few days with you guys. Apparently, you're up to something exciting."

"Well, for me to elaborate, I have to catch your name first."

"Sloane," she says handing out her hand. I shake it. "I'm Aiden."

  " I know," she says with a smirk before leaving my room.  

I'm not glad to say this, but the twins got me good.

***

Nothing. 

There is nothing good enough to work with out of this damn journal. Pretty big words aren't always the way to go. Detail, precision and actually saying what the hell it is you are living also works.

Frustrated, I slam the journal cover close and leave the room we had drunkenly (well, the right pronoun would be they) discovered a few nights ago. I go back upstairs, journal in hand, and make my way to our digging site. Today is the day the twins and I will be going through all possibles places the original caster's remains could have been left.

I stop in the kitchen to get a water bottle. Sloane is sitting there, reading a book and munching on carrots with dip. "Hey," I say as I walk over to the fridge. I get my water bottle. 

 "Hey. So, you guys are starting to dig?" 

"We already did. We've been digging for two days now. It's time to go down there." "And you're the chosen one, huh?" 

"Unfortunately."

 "Ah, well I wish you luck." 

"Oh, it's not luck I need," I find trouble saying as I try to notice everything about her. I have a thing for detail. "It's fearlessness." 

"Well, that doesn't exist, so good luck." She laughs before grabbing her book and leaving. She has golden streaks across her brunette hair, a nose piercing and a tattoo behind her left ear. It looks a snake, or maybe an S. I take a carrot before heading out.

I walk across the long yard of freshly cut green grass near the same place we dug up the little box in what seems like ages ago. Ron and Jon are already there looking over their blueprints.

"Ready, boys?"

They both look up at me. "Are you?"

"Yeah," I casually answer. 

They can smell fear and I cannot let them know how being underground is so damn terrifying for me. Ron hands me protective gear and Jon measures the hole we dug to make sure I fit properly. Two of the underground houses out of four that are not under the condo's foundation, so we decided to start with those two. I give Ron the journal and approach Jon.