|8|

This is set during medieval times, by the way.

Aurora's POV

Adelaide and I had been sitting at this camp for a while, keeping the fire burning long enough for the night to progress. I had told my sister to sleep, although she took various attempts to stay awake with me. There was no sleep for me that night; I had too many things to think about. Somehow, my magic had remained intact, despite the fact that my whole family had been stripped of their powers, and I know I was included. I had felt the power being ripped out of me, and it had been the most painful thing I had ever felt. I also had to think about the fact that the great witches were after us, and that not even these woods could keep us safe and hidden forever.

I look over at the sleeping lump on the ground that is my sister. This is going to be much harder for her than it is for me. She has always been so innocent, so good. She couldn't even steal the horse without a guilty concience. I have to keep her safe at whatever the cost, and by the looks of it, there will be a great cost. She is just a human now, with no powers, but by some miracle I still have my magic, and I will use it to keep her safe and alive.

There is an orange light barely visible through the tops of the thick trees of the deep green forest. It's finally morning. I walk over to my sisters sleeping form and gently shake her with my dirty hands. Her eyes open, and she shoots up, breathing heavily. I put my hand on her arm, crouching down and looking her in the eye.

"It's only me, sister." I speak gently to her, and she calms down a small bit.

"It's just—" she starts, but she chokes on her words, tears brimming at her doe brown eyes.

I sit there with wide eyes, not sure what to do as tears spill down her fair face. I've never been good at comforting, or feeling emotions strongly at that. I always push the feelings down and save them for later. My sister, on the other hand, does not do that, and requires comfort. 

Closing my arms around her small frame, I try my best to comfort her. It seems to work somewhat, for she wraps her arms around me in return and sobs, both of our bodies shaking in the process. Yesterday has clearly shaken her up, and she hasn't taken it well. Part of me wished I could shield her from all of this, all of the bad and dangerous things in the world, but I know I can't, and she needs to become stronger; she needs to learn to shield herself, for she may be running for the rest of her life.

"I'm sorry that you must deal with this." I speak quietly into her ears.

Adelaide just nods at this, and pulls away, wiping her tears from her not puffy cheeks and eyes. Standing up, I find a large stick and start putting the fire out by covering the burning wood. Smokesurges out through the pile of once firing wood. I cough through the clouds of burning air. 

"We must be moving on now. We need to find a stream for the horses and us to drink from." I explain to my sister.

"Us, drinking from a stream? That's unsanitary! Our aunt would faint if she even eard you say that." Adelaide says, looking at me like I'm insane.

I sigh, feeling annoyed by her words.

"Well, Aunt is dead, so it seems that she won't have to faint." I say bluntly.

Adelaide gasps at my harsh words. Turning around and storming towards her horse.

"Ad, I—" I start.

"Don't speak of her like that, it's disrespectful." she says, her voice only slightly raised, and cracking from emotion.

She won't even yell at me. I'd rather that than to feel the dissapointment in myself that her words give me. I don't feel sorry for saying what I did, I feel sorry for hurting my sister.