Chapter Twenty Four

Chapter Twenty-Four

Dylan Bernice Anthony

"Okay, ready?” I asked the girls as I opened up the curtain and stepped out of  the changing room. Prom was in two days, and everyone except for me had their dress. Honey, Heather, their moms, Jenine, and I had all piled into Honey’s moms van and had been looking for dresses for a week.

“I like this one Dylan.” Honey and her mom Lynn said at the same time. Asians. They were so alike.

“Pink is not my color guys. Next!” They’d made me try on a pink sequined bodycon dress, and I hated it.

“Dylan, can you pick a dress? Chris hasn’t gotten his tux yet because he’s waiting on you to pick a color!” Honey whined as she was texting Tyga. It wasn’t my fault I couldn’t find a dress! All of them were basic and plain. I needed something spectacular. You only have one prom, and I wanted mine to be perfect. My mom had gotten pregnant with me her prom night. Well that’s what she had told me.

People weren’t really into interracial love in Harlem, especially black and white, so my mom and dad had to hide, but prom night he said fuck it and took her to prom. They had a perfect night, he took her to the most expensive hotel Harlem had to offer and they made me. Apparently he regretted his decision when his Portugese familly threatened to disown him if he kept up his relationship.So he broke up with my mom, and my mom had to go through her pregnancy all by herself. She told the adoption agency she wanted to give me a good life, so the day after I was born I was given to the Jenkins.

I had found this out ‘cause when I was about to move out of the Jenkins house, my foster mom had given me a letter my mom wanted me to read when I was eighteen. I was still seventeen when I left, but I wasn’t gonna be around at eighteen, so I just read it.Was I supposed to feel bad for her? ‘Cause I didn’t. She didn’t even apologize. Not that I really expected her to. I had no respect for my real mother or father. No matter the situation, you should step up to the plate and take responsibility for your shit, and they didn’t. They got no respect from me.

“Earth to DYLAN!” I didn’t realize Heather was calling my name until I zoned back in.

“Shit sorry. Let me take off this dress.” I waddled back into the dressing room since the dress was three sizes too tight.

I grabbed my phone from my sweatpants pocket and texted Chris.

Can we just say fuck prom and not go? I can not find a dress to save my life. - Dylan

He responded instantly.

No! We're going to prom Dylan. And you'll look perfect in anything you wear baby. - Little Nigga <3

Gay ass. You just want some pootie tang. Bye. - Dylan

Lmao, basically. Can’t wait for prom night baby. Now find a sexy ass dress so I can take it off ;) - Little Nigga <3