Chapter 16: The Hunt

"Holy moly, who knew that only an apron would unlock your true sexiness, Kags?" 

Rei watched as Kageyama froze, the potential meaning of what she just said striking them both.

Kinky.

Okay Rei, keep it cool. Keep it cool, like your fashion sense. Pfft, who am I kidding? But... Really, why did I have to say that? I should remember by now that my witty and sarcastic comments always fail and leave me in awkward situations. Curse my verbal diarrhoea. Ah, dammit Rei, you failure of a human being.

Kageyama turned, his dark hair seemingly flowing in the non-existent wind, anime-style slow-motion. Many thoughts ran through his head as blood rose to his cheeks, butt cheeks unintentionally tensing and his eyes widening, however this was all replaced with confusion as his gaze landed on Rei.

A loud snore rattled throughout the room. Eh? Kageyama could have sworn that she had sounded very much awake when she said that, so the tightly scrunched eyes and oddly loud snoring didn't make much sense to him. Though, Kageyama knew by now that his brain could not be trusted under non-volleyball circumstances, so quickly dismissed his doubts as he left the room like a jumpy rabbit.

•••

Act natural. That was the solution that had gone through Rei's mind, and she ended up doing what she thought was a rather magnificent impression of a sleeping person. Well, thank goodness he's a first-class idiot. She took a deep breath, and blasted out yet another snore that shook the very foundations of the earth.

Grandpa would be proud of that one. Rei's grandad, the British one (for lack of a living one in Japan) a.k.a. Grandpa, Grandpapaaaaa, Grandpapi or Old Bloke (an affectionate term which she insisted brought out his inner manly power whenever he complained) was notorious amongst their family for his extraordinary ability to fall asleep at the drop of a hat.

Once upon a time, Rei had been having a conversation with him, possibly about the origins of tea and him potentially prattling on about how we 'most definitely did not get it from India, the very notion is truly preposterous!', when Rei had noticed that he had actually fallen asleep in the middle of his sentence and continued it amongst his dying car snores. The loud snoring seemed to run through the family, as she had once snored so loudly that she had abruptly woken herself up with no clue as to why she had suddenly done so. She moved her hand over her heart under the duvet; 'twas a trait well inherited, she thought.

Speaking of duvets, and upon further inspection through a slit between her two eyelids, she realised that this one wasn't hers. Neither was the room, nor was Kageyama. She prised open her eyes with her hands, because her eyelids seemed to have fallen in love again and did not want to be separated, then took a good look around the room.

Damn, Kags, back at it again with the- No. That's not funny anymore, Rei. But daaaayum. Fancy room. Worthy of me, teehee. She then proceeded to mentally hit herself with a brick.

Little did Rei know, Kageyama's mum had put all of the somewhat valuable items in their house into that room with the hope of either impressing or intimidating guests with their apparent wealth (a mixture of the two was preferable). If the Kageyamamama was asked about this being a tactic, then 'That's nonsense, it's home-pride, home-pride.'

Rei's stomach then decided to promptly make whale noises that would put Dory to shame, so she pulled a green tea KitKat out of a tiny pocket in her running leggings that was probably meant for a 2009 MP-3 player, but who cares about the details? Not Rei. What a rebel. Within the darkest spaces of her head, her inner sass clicked its fingers in a Z-formation.