Chapter 15: Shipping Mother

Rei?

Well, no matter how low his IQ may have been, there was no way he could mistake that bob. The boy's large feet began to move cautiously towards the trembling figure, his dark hair shifting slightly in the wind. He could just about hear her muttering something, pleading, but he couldn't make out the exact words and it was only until he was close enough for his shadow to fall on her bowed head that he could figure it out.

"Make it stop... Brother... No... Don't leave me! Please..." The boy had no clue what to do with a crying girl, especially not Rei who had always seemed so strong to him, so he hesitated a bit before clenching his buttocks and awkwardly placing a hand on her shoulder.

"Um... Rei?" She didn't react, her pleas and sobbing just as desperate as before. "Rei!" He said, with a bit more force this time. Even though he had been watching her for a while, he was still surprised when two reddened eyes turned on him and a shaky voice whispered,

"K-Kags..." Even in this situation, huh? He thought as he heard the nickname, sighing slightly before returning his attention to her.

"Rei, uh... What are you doing here?" Oops... Aren't I supposed to ask what's wrong first? He mentally scolded himself and looked up at the sky. A large drop of water promptly landed in his eye. Rain, huh? A small smile crept onto his face. Even the sky is crying.

However, he didn't have much time to think about anything else (though he didn't do much of that in general) before he felt two arms thrown around his shoulders and heard great, racking sobs that were considerably louder than the hopeless pleading from before. They were coming from the girl desperately clinging to him, as if he were the only thing keeping her above the surface in a stormy sea, like he was a large, painfully dim life ring.

They just sat there, a crying girl and a socially inept boy who was awkwardly attempting to comfort her, until, after what felt like hours to him, it seemed that Rei had finally used up all of her energy on her full-force sobs. Kageyama stopped patting her back when he heard the noises she was making come down to a quiet whimper, then stop completely but for the occasional sniff.

Wait... He thought when he heard a very loud, slow breath come from Rei. You're joking, right? Alas, as he looked down, he saw that she had indeed fallen asleep. Beginning to snore, too. Dammit. I should wake her up, then try and get her back to her house. That would work, right?

He poked her cheek, whispering her name in a rather pathetic attempt to rouse her. Unfortunately Kageyama didn't know that Rei slept like a log, and wouldn't wake up mid-sleep even if a someone wafted strawberry milk in front of her nose, which, considering the fact that she was... passionate... about it, was saying something. However, she became a very light sleeper later on, and even the slightest noise from a car outside would startle her into the horrible place that they call real life.

Of course, as she was currently mid-sleep he stood no chance of waking her up, as he would find out after ten minutes of futile, increasingly hopeless cheek-prodding. Time to be a man, Kageyama, he thought, an idea that seemed decent enough popping into his head and lighting up his slightly blank features.

I will carry her home like a manly man, and then I can get away before she wakes up. Okay. He stood up, determination in his eyes, and then squatted down to pick her up.

Righty-ho, he thought before he attempted to lift her up, but, in a situation eerily similar to when Yachi tried to pick up Rei's bag, he almost dropped her from the weight. Well, those running muscles are no joke.

He managed to get his legs fully straight, and he began to wobble off. Then came the moment when he encountered the first flaw in his plan. Just where was he wobbling off to? As he actually put some effort into his thought process, he realised he had no idea where Rei actually lived. Fantastic.