Chapter 10: "He was wrong"

Your POV

The sun streaked through the leaves in the enormous forest fort, Phoenix Drop's main base and place of solitude. I opened my eyes to be instantly blinded. The light was almost too much to handle after being out cold for more than eight hours of my life. I reached to touch my injured shoulder, to my surprise, it was healed completely. Nevertheless there was only one thing on my mind.

Zane.

He had confined in me his true feelings, something I never thought would come to pass.

He loved me, and that frightened me.

The question was, did I love him back?

I picked myself off the bed, suddenly a piece of paper fell out of my pillow. I grabbed it, examining the penmanship to myself. It was lovely. But it was Zane's. I glanced around the area, trying to locate his presence.

"Zane?"

I cried out, standing up and continuing to shout his name into the sky. After a couple of tries, I gave up and started to open the letter. It was almost front and back, and the page smelled of lilac. I was almost tempted to not open it, to throw it from the tree. But I needed to know where he was. I read it aloud

Dearest Y/n,

It pains me to tell you that I have to leave. I can not bare the thought of seeing you get hurt by that witch. I am sacrificing myself for you to be safe. Don't look for me, I couldn't think of the things she could do if she captured us both. I'm so sorry. I didn't want things to end up this way, but they must if I want you to live a happy life.
I may love you, but don't let that stop you from finding a good family, finding a wonderful husband and wonderful children. You of all people deserve it. Please, forget about me. Do what makes you happy.

I love you.

From Zane

I gripped the letter, tears pouring down my face.

"How could he do this?"

I fell to my knees and started sobbing. My eyes watered over and blind. The letter became soaked and I soon let it fall to the ground.

Why would he leave me

I covered my face, trying to stop the flow, but being powerless against my sadness.

What did he think this would accomplish

My knees gave out, and I lied there against the wood floors, leaning on my stomach. An aching feeling came over it, a sign of guilt.

Doesn't he know that I care

I heard a noise, and my tears came to a halt. It was Aphmau.

"Y/n! Are you okay?"

She walked closer to me, I couldn't bother getting up.

"Y/n, your eyes. Are you crying?"

I nodded and curled up into a ball of pain and suffering. Aphmau picked up the letter and read it.