Chapter 6: "Why did you care?"

Your POV

Scaleswind

It seemed so close yet so far away. The night settled in as we completed our first hour into the journey. Zane, who couldn't see very well as it was, decided we should stop before we get lost in the forest. An excellent idea on his part, except we were already in the middle of trees and fauna.

I had no clue where we were, let alone what direction we should go. We decided on a large tree, making camp under it. The path was just right of us, leading to our destination. Zane built a fire and took off his gloves. I did the same, but looked at him with a worried look. It seemed like hours before we broke the silence that befell us.

"So.. The sky is pretty tonight.."

I said, swallowing tightly. His eyes darted from mine to the fire.

"Yes.. It is."

Was all I got from him.

Riveting conversation

I sighed and laid my head and back against the tree, looking at the stars. My mind raced with the questions I so dearly wanted to ask him.

"Remember doing this? Just gazing forever at the endless sky? Wondering what was beyond this world?"

I spoke to him softly, not shifting my gaze from the astral platform I saw above me.

"I do. Very vividly, in fact. It was my favorite way to spend time with you."

I looked back at him, surprised. The night sky reflected against his eyes, causing them to glow a light blue.

Pretty, I thought.

I smiled slightly, resting my hands in the grass below.

"I can't recall ever being this peaceful, this serene. It brings back huge memories."

I told him, shaking my head. He muttered something under his breath and blew out the fire. It was getting late, and we should be resting.

But one thing dragging me on, the one thing that kept me awake as Zane snoozed away, was memory. My questions had to have answers there, right?

I could recall the deep winters in Okhasis. The dark hallways of the castle. And above all else, I could remember how I met

Him

It was almost sunset, and I had spent most of my day in the castle with the eldest son, Garroth.

My family, a noble bakery artist father and an aristocrat mother, desperately wanted me to become the (queen/king) of Okhasis. Even Zianna, the current queen and close friend of my mother, would have loved to see me marry one of her boys.

Regardless, Garroth was the first choice. I barely saw the other two, and when Garroth mentioned them, they sounded like odd people. He told me that Zane had no compassion for someone his age, and Vylad, well, couldn't talk yet. At the time, I thought Garroth was the only smart one there, but I had to remember:

I was ten.

And Garroth was 3 years older than me.

Talk about pushing it

At least in my opinion, but my parents tried to get us together at every turn. It was highly uncomfortable for both of us. Eventually, we made up excuses. Garroth would go train swords and I would go out to the garden to meditate.
It had been one of those scenarios when I met Zane.

I had finally gotten away from the lot of royals and nobles asking me question upon question. The meadow was quiet and covered in snow, my favorite season. It was a dim grey outside, and you could barely see the purple flowers that grew near the entrance. I held my scarf and jacket close to me as I made my way to the bench, when I noticed someone on it. I heard large sniffles and whines. And when I got near the bench, the dark figure on it grew smaller.