Chapter 1 (part 2): The Signs

I couldn't breathe, my chest felt so constricted. My mind blackened right before another flashback hit me.

*Flashback*

My back burned, the excruciating pain spreading everywhere, as the cattle prod once again whistle through the air to hit my bare bloody back. I could literally smell the metallic and salty scent of blood and the sour scent of death in this place. As I knelt, I could see the thick deep ruby of my blood back splatter across the pristine white floors of the "training dungeon" , my mind and body screaming in a silent, agonizing way, though I looked up at the ceiling stoically. One of my arms lay in a broken mess, with my wrist bent back in a near 180 degrees. I felt the kicks to my stomach, but that didn't compare to pain my back felt, and knew that as the cattle rod sliced through air once that he had started whipping the flesh of my back. I could see the little red chunks of my flesh land near me, and they looked so much like red bloody chunks of raw meat, that I didn't realize that they came from me. My body and mind cried in relief, even as broken as they were, when my "trainer" stopped, but a scream filled the air as he poured isoproyl alcohol onto my back. My mind fractured, and cracked along the seams, the damage to both body and soul finally drifting me toward a blissful unconsciousness.

*Flashback Ends*

I shuddered as that memory faded. Why did they have to come? My patient Mr. Richard called after me as I ran from there room. My hand shivered as I grasped the phone. I dialed the number again and with tears dripping down my face, told Marietta, " Tell the girls to pack a suit case, they've come for us."