Wedding Bells

Cassie P.O.V

                I never thought my brother would get married before me. I always thought as soon as he moved out, Jake and I would get married within the year, and Cole would walk me down the aisle. Not Jake sitting in the audience, Cole at the alter and me walking an eight month pregnant Sophie down the aisle.

Now I was helping Sophie into the dress I’d made her (with Simone’s help, of course) and reassuring her that everything was going according to plan. The dress still fit, the sky was clear and Cole was definitely waiting for her at the alter.

“Cassie,” she said when we were alone “I want to thank you.”

I looked up from where I was tying a silver ribbon around her bouquet (lily of the valley) that matched the one around her waist and in her hair. She looked so beautiful in her long white dress and her hair out and curled, the front pieces tied back with a sliver ribbon. The ring sparkling on her finger, where it looked so right.

“What for?” I asked, finishing the bow.

“Everything,” she whispered, tears glisten in her eyes and I hugged her.

“You’re so brave honey, and I’m so proud of you.” I stroked her hair and wiped away her tears.

She shook her head “You and Cole are so wonderful…I wouldn’t be able to get through this without you two.” She wiped her eyes “You’ve been more of a mother to me than my own, and I can never thank you enough for that, Cassie, never.”

                Cole P.O.V

                I watched Cassie lead Sophie down the aisle, and my heart quickened. I was getting married. To Sophie. I was marrying the mother of my child, the only woman I had ever loved. The only woman I ever will love.

Cassie kissed my cheek, and then gave me Sophie’s hand. Her dress was long, and her hair was out. She looked beautiful, absolutely radiant. I swore she was glowing.

Eric was my best man, and he squeezed my shoulder as the minister started the ceremony.

“Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to…” I wasn’t really listening to the rest, it was almost impossible to take my eyes off Sophie.

“Colton Kieran St. Clair, do you take Sophia Addison Phillips as your lawfully wedded wife?”

I smiled at Sophie “I do.”

He turned to Sophie “Sophia Addison Phillips, do you take Colton Kieran St. Clair as your lawfully wedded husband?”

She smiled at me, tears running down her face “I do,”

Everyone in the church (it wasn’t that many, maybe fifty people) stood up and cheered. I took Sophie in my arms and kissed her long and sweet. Jake had his arms wrapped around Cassie, and she was crying. Her last words to me before the ceremony ran through my head.

I’m so proud of you, Cole. Mom and Dad would be, too.

I just kissed Sophie and wished with all my heart that they could be here to see me, to see Sophie. See the birth of their first grandchild. I wished with all my heart, even though I knew it wouldn’t come true.

                A cold wind rattled the windows as I held Sophie in our bed, trying to fall back asleep. I’d dreamt she was in labour, and the baby had been born with the cord around its little neck. I was trying to distract myself with names. Dozens of them ran through my head, and I knew it was going to drive me crazy.