Story Arcs - Number 2: The Whitechapel Incident

***SPOILER ALERT!!*** This contains the plot lines for Chapters 6-10 of The Infernal Aether

Following on from my last posting, here is the second part of the overall story arc for The Infernal Aether - this time covering the second main story, which I tentatively titled "The Whitechapel Incident". Again, this is the version which was refined over a few edits and then which I used as the basis for the full draft as posted on this site.

[2 - The Whitechapel Incident]

Augustus is drinking in a dingy tavern in the East End when he is approached by a prostitute he knows. She is concerned about a series of terrible murders caused by "the devil". Augustus had heard of the killings but assumed (along with most others) that it was just another madman on the loose. The locals, though, believe differently - that it is the devil himself come to punish them all.

Augustus agrees to walk her home. As they walk, the streets grow quieter and quieter and then they are attacked by a terrible firebreathing creature. It breaks the prostitute's neck and then flies away.

Augustus runs to Maxwell's house, fleeing the police who, having seen him at the scene, believe it was him who is the serial killer. Maxwell becomes interested when he hears that there's some form of paranormal presence involved. He agrees to help track down the real killer to clear Augustus' name, seeing this as an ideal opportunity to test his latest invention, a device which can sense paranormal disturbances in the Aether. He has developed this from the rudimentary ghost-sensing equipment N'yotsu helped him create in Milly's house.

Augustus questions where Maxwell's maidservant is. Maxwell explains that he let her go - she was not screening his guests satisfactorily enough.

As they walk through the streets, they encounter N'yotsu, who is also hunting the creature.

They question a few people they meet and, while they are talking to a prostitute, are attacked by her pimp. N'yotsu fights the man off and is about to kill him when they see the creature.

The four of them (including the prostitute) chase after the creature. They corner the creature in a warehouse and N'yotsu fights it. N'yotsu appears to be losing when he mutters something and creates a portal which sucks the creature away. N'yotsu collapses, exhausted, but also amazed that he managed to create the portal [NO - TOO EASY!! - how about pushes it through the floor - so floor appears like water, etc....?].

Augustus is concerned that they have no way of clearing his name now. N'yotsu recovers and says he has an idea. He speaks to the police and convinces them (like a Jedi mind trick...) that the pimp is the real murderer. N'yotsu is starting to realise he has magical powers, although no idea how or why. As the pimp is taken away, Augustus et al are amazed at how easy it was and start to speculate about how N'yotsu is able to do these things - is he a sorcerer? Do people with such powers actually exist?

Augustus feels guilty as the police take the pimp away. N'yotsu is confused as to why, seeing this instead as a very neat solution. The prostitute - Kate - agrees. Maxwell asks her if she would like to work for him, as he has a vacancy for a maidservant. She agrees, after haggling over the pay and benefits.