Chapter Forty-One: Monster In Law

A/N

Monster-in-Law is a 2005 romantic comedy film directed by Robert Luketic and starring Jennifer Lopez, Jane Fonda, Michael Vartan and Wanda Sykes. It marks a return to cinema for Fonda, being her first film in 15 years after Stanley & Iris. The screenplay is written by Anya Kochoff. 

Charlotte "Charlie" Cantilini or (Jennifer Lopez) is a temp from Venice Beach, California, who meets surgeon Kevin Fields (played by Michael Vartan). She thinks he's gay at first, based on a lie Fiona (Kevin's ex-girlfriend) told her. But then Kevin asks her out, and Charlie believes that she's finally found the right man.

Things start to go wrong when Kevin introduces Charlie to his mother, Viola Fields (Jane Fonda). Viola is a former newscaster who has recently been replaced by someone younger, and is in the midst of a meltdown. Loathing Charlie from the outset, Viola becomes even more distraught when Kevin proposes to Charlie. Fearing that she'll lose her son the same way she lost her career, she sets out to destroy Kevin and Charlie's relationship. With her trusted assistant, Ruby (Wanda Sykes) who is secretly working against her, she tries everything possible to drive Charlie away.

Alex's Point of View

"You must be kidding, Attorney!" galit na sabi ko na napatayo na sa sobrang emosyon na nararamdaman ko ngayon.

My heart thuds frantically.

Napabuntonghininga ang matandang abogado. "I hope I am, iha. But I am afraid not. And since she is your mother---"

My whole body shook in anger. "She is not my mother! How can it be possible? Ako ang nag-iisang tagapagmana ng Papa! That woman had already alimony from the death of my father. Hindi siya kasama sa last will and testament ng Papa!"

He sighed. "It is stated that your controlling stock will not materialize until you reached the age of 24, old enough to handle all the properties and businesses of Sebastian Monteverde. That's why it was necessary for you to have a guardian to guide your decision."

"I have enough guardians to settle that matter."

He sighed. "In the absence of any family member who is capable enough to handle your welfare, it was right to hire guardians or governess to fill those legal matters. But if the next of kin is present, it is literally falls under the care of a close family member," mahinang sabi nito.

Tila lalaki ang ulo ko sa naririnig ko. "She was out of my life for seven years already! Nabuhay ako na wala siya sa tabi ko, why the sudden need to come back to my life? Kung pera lamang ang kailangan niya then settle it once and for all, attorney!"

Puno ng concern na tiningnan ako nito. "Kung sana ganoon lamang kadali ang lahat iha. Even if we file this in court, we are just going to waste time and money over nothing. She has every right to claim what is rightfully hers. There was no apprehending case against her right before Sebastian died, so basically, all the accusations of committing adultery were null. She is still Clarissa Monteverde."

Nag-iinit ang mukha ko sa sobrang galit. I clenched my fist in anger. "But not for so long, Attorney. I am turning 21 next year. I am at my legal age to decide whatever that I want. And I don't need a guardian by that time," malamig kong sabi. "Settle this once and for all. My only rule is that she will not interfere with my personal affairs!"

"I guess it is between the two of you. And iha, if she wants to live at the mansion, she can do so. It is one of her privileges as the widow of Sebastian Monteverde."

Pakiramdam ko sinasakal ako ng mga oras na iyon. Sinasakal sa isang masamang panaginip. And I want to finish this bad dream!