Chapter Three - Kill

I woke up to an uncomfortable feeling in my body. I could feel the sun’s brightness covering my eyes. My body automatically rolled over the bed as a groan left my lips. After opening my eyes, it took me more than just a few moments to recognise my unfamiliar surroundings. I must have fallen asleep the night before, gazing at the stars while listening to Matt’s conversation with himself. The other side of the bed was untidy, showing Matt’s lengthy sleep.

Misery hit me before I made my way through the room. It showed a lot more of its context as the sun shone. The walls beside the desk hung pictures which caught my eye.

A smile tugged at the corner of my lips as I stared at the faces. They were all beaming, showing their happiness. One picture showed a cheerful looking family. A young gentleman stood in the middle, with a child in his arms. I couldn’t quite take in the child’s face in since a cricket helmet covered it. Though, I did spot the perfectly round lollipop in his small hand. Besides the man, was a very beautiful young lady, laughing hysterically. In front of her, was possibly her daughter who had the very same eyes and dark waves in her hair. Close to the young girl, stood the last and most handsome member of the family. He smirked mischievously at the camera as his arms calmly wrapped around the young girl. I instantly assumed he was the oldest of the siblings for he was clearly the tallest.

I felt like I was there; part of the very same family. I couldn’t help but tear the picture off its place and scan it with my fingers.

But that wasn’t all that caught my eye. The untidy pile of books covered what looked like red ink scattered on the desk. Alarm ran through my body as I found my fingers slowly pushing away the books, revealing the scribbled letters. The alarm inside me now turned into terror. The words spread at the corner of the desk were frightening.

Kill.

Blake Dawson - The murderer of your father.

This handwriting was nothing like the one on the piece of paper I had previously seen. This one was a lot more daunting. Just as my mind was about to swim off with thoughts, Matt’s voice called out to me. I almost missed his light footsteps approaching. I hurriedly shielded the writing, placing the pile of books where they belong.

“Charlie?!”  His voice was bizarrely quiet, almost like he was hiding something. My eyes narrowed at his calling.

“’Charlie’?” I questioned, as soon as he stepped into the room.

“I like the name, it suits you.” He explained. “Besides, you never told me your name, remember?” I bit my lip, trying my hardest not to let my laughter slip. His face looked so serious. But why ‘Charlie’? Deciding to drop the matter, I asked him about his trouble. The scrape on his hand seemed to be fading.

“I think I have found someone who may want to help us.”  He told me happily, before leading the way down the creaky stairs. He led me to what appeared to be a very small living room and gestured to the window, impatiently.

I gave him a frown of question before walking to where the sunshine was let in. It didn’t take me long to realise what Matt wanted me to see. There, in the midst of the tall grass, sat a young man, pulling and playing with the grass. He had dirty blond hair which made his blue eyes stand out. Though, I couldn’t quite capture his entire face, I saw the irritation from within him.

My eyes widened as I panicked, searching for my next step. He must have belonged in the household. Half of me wanted to talk to him, ask for help. My other half however, told me to leave the house silently and completely ignore the young man.

I went with my gut instinct and rushed through the back of the room, grabbing Matt’s arm before I did so. He simply threw my hand off him, clearly taken aback.

“We could ask him for directions.” He suggested. I still wasn’t prepared of taking the risk of the young man finding two complete strangers in his house. Besides, never would I be able to ask for directions to somewhere I didn’t know about.

“He cannot find us here, Matt,” I hissed firmly. “Let’s go.” And with that said, I pulled at his sleeve once more, attempting to take him out of the house. I only achieved to pull him a few steps towards the opposite side of the room when I heard his moaning yet again.

“But I’m ever so hungry!” I could hear the lie dripping in his voice.

A noise was suddenly heard behind us before a pinch of panic rested in my body. Goosebumps rose on my arms as my skin twitched. My plan was to get out, with or without Matt. Diving across the room, I entered a well cleaned kitchen. I noticed a tall door on the opposite wall while Matt was still deciding upon his next move. The keys of the door were hanging in the lock. As quietly as possible, I sprinted and unlocked the door. A beautiful garden stood in front of me. The noises grew louder, and sure enough, Matt finally decided to follow me. The feeling was exhilarating.

After gently shutting the door, I let out a breath I hadn’t realised I was holding and turned to face an adventure.

The small garden was dotted with flowers, hopelessly dying. I could sense winter’s arrival. I leaned back at the house, despair getting the best of me. My body didn’t feel prepared enough for the day ahead. I had no plan. Matt’s eyes were glaring at me, a dissatisfied look covering his face. I could understand his want for help, yet, never did I want to trust someone who was so full of fury.

My mind escaped to a future of amazement. So badly did I want someone to lead me to my family. Did I really have a family? Silence had echoed through the air for at least ten minutes when I realised the picture of the family was still placed in my hand. It had wrinkled since I held onto it so tightly. My gaze was focused on the happy family when a noise interrupted the silence. Just a few feet away, an old man casually whistled as his footsteps grew louder. Hope suddenly filled Matt’s face.

If I was to find my family, I knew I had to have trust.

Author's note: Hello again! A lot of you have been saying the story is too confusing.

There was supposed to be quite a lot of mystery actually but a lot will be revealed in the next chapter and that’s when the story actually kicks in. Although, I’m not sure I want to finish it.

Also, thank you so much for every vote, comment, fan and read. I read every comment I get. c;

-Rawr:3