Chapter Two - An Empty House

I focused my gaze to the child who gave me a confused look. I was sure he was thinking about my awfully slow mind as I just stood there.  My eyes followed around the towering fence, until I finally noticed a lock on the border. It seemed to be sealed close, but I walked over to it anyway, my breathing getting heavier once again.

The awareness of walking over lifeless bodies was horrifying! I reached out my hand and felt the sudden surge of the very cold surface touching my skin. Glancing back at the stranger, who was now taking small strides to my direction, I pushed with effort. A loud squeaky creak was heard and the heavy gate slowly opened. I couldn’t help but smile at my little achievement. The young boy was now stood beside me, a grin of bliss upon his face. I wiped away the drops of sweats on my forehead with the back of my hand.

Together, we walked out of the graveyard, not daring to look back at the horror. Many trees stood in front of me, holding up their beautiful rusty coloured leaves.

I had taken a few steps out of the yard when I realised I had no idea where we were going. I was extremely pleased to be out of that misery but something inside my body was still burning. Ignoring the odd feeling, I walked on. To where, precisely? I wasn’t sure.

I looked to my left, where the young boy was hurrying along. A look of hope hid his face and his legs were skipping happily. My lips curled into a smile at thought of his self-assurance around me.

“So, what do I call you?” He grinned, revealing his many small, white teeth.  I was just about to respond when I realised I didn’t know what to say. An awkward silence sat between for more than a couple of seconds, before I finally spoke.

“I’ll tell you my name, once you’ve told me yours.” My voice was unrecognisable; so cold and unkind. Yet, the child obviously thought nothing of it.

“Matthew.” He said, confidently. His voice returned quickly but I was sure I saw his eyes roll for a split second. My blood seemed to rush again, though I didn’t understand why. He suddenly ran up to one of the trees and pulled a leaf off, spiritedly. From that moment on, I decided to call the young boy ‘Matt’ instead.

We were now past the spot of tall trees, entering a much friendlier place. The grass was greener and the trees had completely disappeared. The whole place seemed familiar, but I thought nothing of the matter. I dragged myself to a bench nearby and slumped down, letting out a deep sigh. My feet could no longer go on.  I smiled to myself as I pulled off the flat dolly shoes I was wearing. They were pretty cute.

I saw Matt’s nose scrunch up as he watched me rub the heel of my foot; how childlike.

“Where are we going?” Matt’s voice seemed to ascend again, irritation and concern painted all over his face. I had never seen anyone look so lost. But what was worse, was that for some reason, I felt guilty for his loneliness. Where were his family? Where were my family?

“I’m not quite sure,” I replied, smiling sweetly. “But we will get you home soon enough.” I noticed the half smile on his lips as he nodded, still uncertain.

The cries of the night owls were being heard, and that’s when I decided to stuff my feet back into my shoes and get moving again. Matt attempted to trot along, but clearly failed as I heard his light body smack against the ground. My eyes widened slightly as he groaned in pain. I turned back to him as an impatient sigh escaped my lips unexpectedly.

His hands had somehow scraped across the ground and he wouldn’t stop complaining about the discomfort. Yet, I didn’t see a drop of pain on his face.

To my left just a few yards away, I noticed a small house, or possibly a cottage. I could sense help immediately.

“Come on.” I mumbled, perhaps to no one, before making my way down the hill. I picked up my pace as we approached the home.

The house was wooden but seemed to be stable enough. I looked up at it. Somehow, it looked terribly familiar, something I’d want to walk into every day for a cup of tea. The windows were sealed shut and no light escaped. My eyes automatically narrowed in curiosity. Was this house no longer being used?  Or maybe the family of the house were comfortably resting upstairs.

I had no clue as to what time it was, but my body felt ever so weak, though I had only been awake for just over an hour. Raising my hand, a sense of hope overfilled me. I knocked forcedly.

“Is this your house?!” Matt asked, looking up at the small shelter. I saw the look of faith in his eyes.

“Nope,” I replied, popping the ‘P’ sound. His confidence faded and disappointment appeared.

There was a long silence until I decided to call out for someone while pushing the door. To my surprise, it actually did open, revealing its content. The house greeted me with cold air.

“Hello?” My uneasy voice only echoed a few times as the wind blew softly behind me. The house was eerily quiet, clearly empty. I took a few steps in and Matt hurried behind me, shutting the door with the help of the wind.

“Wait here.” I whispered over my shoulder, walking over to what looked like a staircase. As I climbed, I could smell the damp forming around me. The floor had three small bedrooms. One was very small, covered in different shades of blue, including the plain wallpaper. It wasn’t kept tidy in the slightest. The second was probably the largest of them all. It held its elegance proudly as the floral curtains rested in their place. The cream covered bed lied in the middle of the room. Yet, I could still sense the damp entering my nose. The last room was much disorganised with its untidy desk and clothing covering the baby blue carpet. Webs were forming at each of the corners of the room. I smiled at the thought of who owned this room, feeling the need to explore.

The white carpet tickled my feet while I stood beside a desk. There was an untidy pile of old books sitting in their place. I suddenly spotted a piece of paper on the floor, next to a leg of the desk. Dark blue ink was spread across it in messy writing. I picked it up, with interest and read;

Lena,

I’m not sure where you are, dead or alive, so I have gone to find you and our dear brother. If you are reading this, stay here, I’ll be back soon enough. I’m sure you already know, but unfortunately, father failed to survive the tragedy and mother is missing. I am truly within distraught. But please wait for my arrival and do not leave the house.

I miss you.

-Markus.

P.S. I left some food in the fridge. Do forgive me if it is no longer edible.

I had just noticed my eyebrows joining together once I had finished. Matt’s footsteps were heard, getting louder as I tried to wipe away the misunderstanding on my face, walking towards what looked like a comfortable bed.